Axolotl Goodness!

1. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Figured I would share my newest pet. It's name is Wooper (because it looks just like a shiny Wooper) and I'm pretty much in love lol! I wish someone had told me how hard some of it was like trying to get it to eat (has to be hand or tong fed) and how hard it is to keep water a chilly 64° but it's all worth it :D What do you guys think? Any other axolotl owners here?

bd0dde62e274f439050f9f75319b5f70.jpg
    c12fec313ca2446ca89e396f0a606dd2.jpg
    822cad9ac335c8791c295663e1b16d50.jpg
    8e21d65b6b9f9851f73a700aa8743dfd.jpg

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Looks nice! Never owned or plan on owning one, but I can certainly appreciate them.

3. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Not an axolotl owner but such a pretty and cool animal I think I'm in love :emoji_heart_eyes:

4. OP
    OP
    Kellye8498

I think they are adorable and when I had a spare tank and saw this little one at the reptile store (in cups with no filtration even though they have a MONSTER bioload and kept at room temp in a warm reptile store instead of cool) I just had to bring it home. My next axolotl will be from a breeder in Reno so fairly close to me. I can't wait to get one I know is healthy. This poor baby needs some TLC.

Me too! I am glad I took a chance and snapped it up. I am really excited to get another.

5. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I know how exactly how you felt. I've saved a few fish in my time... I just can't let innocent creatures die or feel pain if I can accommodate them.

6. Kenny777

I'm excited for you!!!

7. OP
    OP
    Kellye8498

Thank you! I need to find some earthworms for it to eat. It refuses to eat more than one pellet of its food at this point and it needs more nutrition. It's all but impossible to find earth worms in Vegas at this time of year though because it's too hot for them to live through shipping and people usually don't need them around here unless they are going to lake mead which is about 40-60 minutes away. No one is fishing here so no bait. Sucky lol. I need to call around tomorrow and try to find some affordable earthworms and see if it will eat them better than the pellets. It ate red wigglers but then vomited them all up because when stressed they secrete a bitter substance to protect themselves and most axolotls won't keep them down. She ate two worms and a few minutes later they were all back in the tank :(

8. Kenny777

Lol well good luck on the earthworms and hopefully he stops being picky :p

9. OP
    OP
    Kellye8498

Haha, thanks! They are just like people...they have likes and dislikes and will go on a hunger strike if you don't agree with what you are feeding them lol! It's kind of crazy really!

10. Kenny777

Lol agree

11. OP
    OP
    Kellye8498

Keeps things interesting I guess huh? HAHA! I just think the "smile" is adorable. It isn't always "smiling" but when it does I'm always there with my camera snapping like crazy xD

12. S

Spur84 New Member Member

wow thats cute AF one of the cutest ones ive seen

13. OP
    OP
    Kellye8498

Thanks! It's driving me nuts since it doesn't want to eat enough of what I'm giving it but I really am enjoying it lol. It's the cutest thing!

14. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

she/he looks annoyed in those pics

15. OP
    OP
    Kellye8498

Annoyed? I don't think so. It just got a belly full of deliciousness lol!

16. SecretiveFish

SecretiveFish Well Known Member Member

Very cute little guy! A fellow axolotl owner here with way too many axolotls... 34... Two are going to have new homes but that leaves me with 32 adults and sub-adults. I may need to re-home a couple more, but I can't decide which ones!!!

Your guy is still fairly small so you can supplement the pellets with frozen blood worms since you are having trouble finding worms right now. I would make a feeding station to keep him from ingesting any sand. Some people use a mason jar set on its side to put the blood worms and pellets in.

17. OP
    OP
    Kellye8498

Just saw this lol. Didn't realize people were still looking at it. I have been feeding pellets and it isn't so small anymore. Little fatty is growing like a bad weed!

139e958ecdf6dc2116ee46e2b5b03628.jpg 90cc6573ab4aef9afe55d770a7f30016.jpg 5d5c26dd80be8071e13d93629f3b2074.jpg

18. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

Congrats on the new addition!! So cute :)

I have a breeder near me and she's absolutely incredible. axolotl are definitely on my wish list!!

19. OP
    OP
    Kellye8498

I have two more shipping out today and I can't wait until they get here! They are going to be gorgeous too. :) I wish there was a breeder near me but we just have a pet store with them which sucks because they keep them in cups similar to bettas but wider and shorter. The poor things look so miserable. It's horrible. With such a high bioload the water must be unbearable. I wish I would have thought to test it before dumping it but I just needed to get Wooper out of it and into a fresh cycled tank.

These are my babies that are coming on Wednesday :)

Attached Files:

20. SecretiveFish

SecretiveFish Well Known Member Member

These are some of the babies I raised and kept, because I NEEDED more axolotls than I already had! :D

19047118_1415669435166965_1797010391_o.jpg