Axolotl fry food

EntirelyEm

Today I went to an aquatic animal and reptile expo and bought an axolotl fry. Not the most responsible thing to do I know, but i can't do much about it now. The woman that sold it to me told me that I could feed it frozen brine shrimp, so I went and got that. Well, it didn't eat that, so I called a woman(different one, not the one selling the fry) who gave me her number in case i had any questions about the fry, and she said that frozen brine shrimp would be too big for the baby. I went and bought live shrimp but of course it also ended up being too big.
The axolotl hasn't eaten all day and I'm worried that something is going to happen to it. I set up some brine shrimp eggs but the package says it could take 1 to 2 days for them to hatch. Is there anything I can feed it in the mean time?
I've had it for less than a day and i already love him, i dont want anything to happen to him The woman who sold him to me he'd be big enough for an aquarium in 3 months. I went into this thinking I'd just feed him frozen brine shrimp until he got big enough for a proper aquarium but obviously it isnt going to be that easy :/

Alejandro

Lucky you only have one that should make it easier.

They eat anything that moves and fits in their mouth.

Live is best and you can leave it in and they can say when they like.

For very small tadpoles Daphnia is best.

If you can't get live daphnia put a fine net on s long handle and go to the local pond -wave it around in the sunny areas near the surface and you should get some daphnia. If not the same net can be waved through weeds etc and you should pick up a variety of live small creatures

Some might say collecting at ponds is how to get disease in your tank but if it's that or starve then it's pretty safe. Especially if your tadpole is on its own in a tank and you have good water they are quite good at not getting sick.

EntirelyEm

Alejandro said:
Lucky you only have one that should make it easier.

They eat anything that moves and fits in their mouth.

Live is best and you can leave it in and they can say when they like.

For very small tadpoles Daphnia is best.

If you can't get live daphnia put a fine net on s long handle and go to the local pond -wave it around in the sunny areas near the surface and you should get some daphnia. If not the same net can be waved through weeds etc and you should pick up a variety of live small creatures

Some might say collecting at ponds is how to get disease in your tank but if it's that or starve then it's pretty safe. Especially if your tadpole is on its own in a tank and you have good water they are quite good at not getting sick.
okay, thank you... Also, my mom (who didn't know what an axolotl was before today) keeps saying that "he's just not hungry"
Is that a possibility? I really don't think that's what happening, but is there a chance that he won't eat because hes full ?

Alejandro

EntirelyEm said:
okay, thank you... Also, my mom (who didn't know what an axolotl was before today) keeps saying that "he's just not hungry"
Is that a possibility? I really don't think that's what happening, but is there a chance that he won't eat because hes full ?
They grow very quickly and as tadpoles they eat many times a day - so you are right it won't be that he's not hungry

EntirelyEm

He's doing okay! I've had him for a little over a week now and he's still alive and eating and swimming. He poops a lot for such a tiny little thing. He floats upside down sometimes? I've read that axolotl babies will do that as an instinctual thing to play dead? I'm not too concerned about it (anymore... I cried the first time it happened because i thought he was dead) I'll keep this updated if anything else happens but yeah

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom