Axolotl Fridging And Feeding Questions

AxolotlAquarist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My axolotl is very bloated, to the point where he's flipping upside down and his belly is swollen and pale. Poor baby. I need to fridge him badly, but I don't have access to a fridge right now. We're remodeling our kitchen, and we have no appliances. I was thinking about putting him outside in our garage tonight, which isn't insulated and gets pretty cold. I live in Western Washington, near the Puget Sound. The lows are around 49-55 degrees, probably a little warmer in the garage. Is it okay to fridge him out there?

Additionally, I got new commercial axolotl pellets because I now have no freezer to keep bloodworms frozen. I think they might be a little big for my axies, though. My little guys are around 3-4 inches, and the pellets are maybe twice the size of their eyes. They're sort of soft, not crunchy, but I'm still concerned about them swallowing them. Should I cut them into pieces, or will they be fine?
This leads me to another question. (This post is getting long.) My axolotls are about a year old and they're still 3-4 inches. I was expecting them to grow once I bought them at 3 months, but they've barely grown at all. I'm not sure why they're stunted. I feed them regularly on frozen bloodworms. Is this size normal? Should I worry? I really would like them to grow. Is there anything I can do to encourage growth? They eat all the food I give them.

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The bloating could be stunting the growth I guess, as all the food is trapped meaning they (possibly) can't digest the food.

Have you tried feeding fresh live worms? Is your tank big enough?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don’t see a problem with the pellets. Don’t these guys eat things much larger in the wild?

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
scarface said:
I don’t see a problem with the pellets. Don’t these guys eat things much larger in the wild?
They sure can fit a lot in their mouth, but there isn't many left in the wild :'(

AxolotlAquarist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Discus-Tang said:
The bloating could be stunting the growth I guess, as all the food is trapped meaning they (possibly) can't digest the food.

Have you tried feeding fresh live worms? Is your tank big enough?
They live in their own twenty-gallon long aquariums. I tried housing them together, but then one broke the other's leg, and she ended up needing a (very expensive) amputation.

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AxolotlAquarist said:
They live in their own twenty-gallon long aquariums. I tried housing them together, but then one broke the other's leg, and she ended up needing a (very expensive) amputation.
Sounds fine. At least the leg will grow back quickly lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom