Axolotl Breeding Help! Help

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by MLBJ, Apr 18, 2018.

1. MLBJ

MLBJ Valued Member Member

Need help breeding axies. I have owned three for about a year. They recently decided to breed and I was SO excited. Lots of eggs were produced. Mostly attached to plastic plants, so they were easy to move to their own container.
    Large Rubbermaid, cool water, sponge filter, very small power filter. I know they don't like current, but I was concerned about ammonia levels from eggs hatchlings that didn't make it. I'd guess there were a few hundred eggs, and 60+ to hatch. It was looking up. I'd read that it was unwise to try and rear them all, but I had no idea how to select healthy ones, so I tried to raise them all...
    But I couldn't get them to eat! I knew they required the tiniest moving food possible, so I ordered expensive live daphnia, but they arrived earlier than anticipated, and the eggs took longer to hatch. Most of the daphnia were dead by the time the axies were mobile, but even the ones that lived swam around unnoticed in the water. I knew they were in danger of starvation, and I tried hatching two batches of brine eggs with zero luck. Even bought some very expensive marine copopods, knowing it was a long shot, still nothing. I think they have all died...
    However, the other adult female started laying her eggs today. So, I get a do over.
    Anyone have specific knowledge/ tips??
    Be happy to answer questions in hopes of figuring out how I can do better this time! 20180418_121051.jpg 20180418_121111.jpg

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

daphina should of survived in your aquarium for a while. Do you mean brineshrimp? As for feeding the young larvae, try walter worms or micro worms. these seem to take better for young larvae.

3. phantom

phantom Valued Member Member

I don't know much about breeding them but wanted to give support and say good luck, so good luck lol

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

I think daphnia is your best bet, but microworms are a good backup although they won't grow as fast on these. I hope this time goes better for you!

5. SecretiveFish

SecretiveFish Well Known Member Member

Hatching your own brine shrimp is the way to go. I got my brine shrimp eggs off off Ebay which took a week, so order now and look at getting a brine shrimp hatchery. Axolotl larvae will wipe out daphnia very quickly, and you would need a huge culture to even think of having enough to feed the larvae.

You will need to separate your female and male if you haven't already, a divider will work if you do not have a spare tank. Axolotls can breed every 6-8 weeks which is very hard on the female. All my axolotls are separated by gender...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice