Axolotl Aquarium Outdoors? Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SuperD14, Apr 18, 2019.

1. SuperD14Valued MemberMember

I have a rio240l aquarium sitting around with no lid or bracing. I was wondering if it could sit outside over the summer if I filled it up halfway. I live in the uk and I was just wondering if it would get too hot for axolotls to live in?

2. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Almost definitely. If the water temp hits 73 or above, they'll die. They really need temps around 62-65
    Edit: for celsius, can't get above 22, 16-17 is best

3. SuperD14Valued MemberMember

I have a pond with koi and goldfish (all are around 6 inches) and the water never gets above 16degrees Celsius in summer, however I think that’s because it’s in the ground. I kept my axolotls in a plastic container in the pond, however, it has little to no enrichment, but it’s the best place for them in terms of water temp as even an unheated aquarium in my house got up to 22-23 Celsius.

4. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Maybe you've just got some real hardy ones across the pond ;)
    Here, they really just don't work above 22. If you can get it in the ground and get the temperature stable, maybe cover it, it could work

5. SuperD14Valued MemberMember

It’s not a must, I have a 150 litre preformed pond laying around too, I’ll just bury that and put them in there, somehow try to connect the two ponds so I can only run one filter