Axlotl: Advanced Planning Recommendations

1. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I'm starting to plan well in advance. We're about a year out from purchasing a house, and I'm thinking that I would love to get a lotl tank set up once we do.

I don't know how much space we'll have or things like that, but want to start thing and planning for this now, since I have a feeling it will be a chunk of money to get everything together.

What I think I'll need:
    Big-ish tank: at least a 40 long or something at least 4 ft in length
    Filter (obviously, but what type)
    Heater (though would rarely be used, probably for fishless cycle and then unplugged unless something really strange happened in the house)
    Aquarium chiller
    Missing anything?

How many can I house together, and do they like each other's company?
    Is there any chance that a BN pleco could live with one, or would it be too small and become food?
    Is there any chance a medusa pleco could live with one, or would it be too small or the temp difference be a problem?

My fiancé really wants a sunken ship for the tank, any concern with that being in there?
    What type of requirements are there on how the tank needs to be designed/scaped?

Any other information, tips, or suggestions on things to read/places to look for information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I would not do the sunken ship it might damage their skin.plecos will probably be eaten.you could out two in a 40.i would also add so plants and make sure you have sand.

3. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

4. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Awesome, thank you! I wonder why that care sheet didn't show up when I searched for them...

5. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

The vote in the house, ok, no sunken ship, I want a pokemon! :)

How do I keep plants alive with such little light in the tank? Also, can I do something like moonlight on, or is that also too much for the little guys?

6. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

You really can't have live plants. Realistic looking fake plants are a good choice. I wouldn't have the moonlight on either.

7. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

What about a carpet of some kind of easy moss? Might work anyway.
    or something that floats like duckweed major?

while im not a fan of pokemon, axlotl do kinda look like some cartoony monster thing, could you get a giant ball that looks like he crawled out?

8. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Since axxies hate light, I doubt any plants could grow. Maybe a moss ball.

9. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I do like moss balls. If there's never any light, how do you ever see them? I, obviously, have no idea what we will have available for space, but if it's anything like what we have now, our tanks get 0 light without the tank lights...

10. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Usually by the room lights, which could be a problem in your case. Maybe a really dim light for when you're in the room?

11. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Ah ok. That makes sense. I don't mind it being by the room lights at all, but yeah, depending on the location, may need to intentionally do room lights. The way things are currently set up, that would mean about 20 minutes of light a day, lol.

At least I have some solid planning to think about and an agreement to not do the pirate ship :) Once we actually have moved I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions, but since this won't be a cheap setup, wanted to start planning things out now.

12. Pikachu13131 Member Member

You want a Pikachu right?

13. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I would want a mu (sp?) Or unknown honestly, lol

14. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Cant killduckweed ;)

15. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I am currently testing that theory in my betta tank. The last floaters I had, I killed in no time :)

16. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Doh
    hmm, whats your water flow? They like still water.
    i chewedup my first batch in a filter ;)

17. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Alot of people have luck with growing java moss, might be another option.

18. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

About 60-70 gph and baffled.

19. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

lol, my luck with that was just as bad. I've had luck with amazon swords, banana plants, moss balls, java fern, anubias, and crypts...

Tags: