Awol Angels

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by bopsalot, Apr 18, 2017.

1. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Well I'm sad to say I have a confirmed fish death.:( I had ordered 3 juvenile angels for my 60 gallon, happily they sent 5. I acclimated them properly, 3 of them acted quite normally, exploring the tank, interacting with me and the cats at the glass etc, the 2 extras they sent went straight into hiding. This was about 10 days ago. I figured the 2 were probably just stressed from shipping, acclimating to a new tank, and I monitored them closely. I regularly would have to search for the 2 extras, they would lurk behind the heater, behind the thermometer, behind the lip of the tank, under the rock decorations, in the hollow log. I noticed they were a little reluctant to eat, unlike the others. I had to reach in and drop food to them in their hiding spots, but did observe them eating eventually, and started feeling better about them. They looked OK, if maybe a little pale. Very minor tail fin damage on one I noticed. This morning I couldn't find them, per usual. Really searched as these 2 haven't been observed eating for a couple days. I finally found one dead under the rock. The other is still missing and it does not look good.

Water parameters: 0,0, 10-20, ph 7.8, temp 79-80 degrees

My theory is they just had trouble acclimating, and just failed to thrive because they were so young (dime sized). I am watching carefully for any signs of disease. The 3 that I ordered are thriving, growing very quickly. One is nearly quarter sized already. They constantly roam the tank, and graze on the gravel and decorations all day. Angelfish are just so awesome!

I just feel bad for my little casualty. And I'm worried for number 4. I try so hard to provide the best home possible for these guys. I think I'm just venting, but if anyone has any thoughts or tips or relevent experience, I'd sure appreciate it.
    Edit: they are in there alone. No tank mates and the tank has a stable cycle.

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You probably have to just hope for the best. Does the fish look sick? Has it been eating prior to going AWOL?

3. OP
    OP
    bopsalot

Last time I saw him, his stripes looked pale. I have observed him eating just a very little over 10 days. Nothing like the others though, who are constantly hungry. I can only hope he's been coming out when he feels safe and grazes leftovers, maybe at night? I cannot locate him today, so it doesn't look too promising.

4. OP
    OP
    bopsalot

Ok. Very close inspection has revealed something I have never observed before. There are thousands of very very tiny somethings adhering to the inside of the glass on all sides. Invisible unless you are right up within a couple inches of the glass. They are round, whitish, translucent, and about 1/2mm in size. They wave gently in the current. They are everywhere. Not sure if this is a threat. Anyone know what they could be? They are far too small to photograph, unfortunately. I may start a new thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice