Awful algae growth

sarxlives

So it's been about a year since I've had my 29 gallon aquarium and I couldn't be happier. Except, there has been a glaring issue I've been having recently. I have unfortunately became victim to black beard algae and have used Excel Flourish to help get rid of it, and it works but only temporarily. Now I'm starting to find black spots on my other plants and it's beginning to look like a complete mess. I have 3 Anubis' and 3 Amazon Swords. Algae apparently is becoming a problem but I don't know what else to do.

The tank is 29gal
The filtration is mechanical (Top Fin Pro Series)
About only 8-10 fish atm(pretty understocked)
The lights are timed from 11am to 8pm.

Any suggestions?

wateriswet

What fertilizers are you using besides Flourish? Would you consider adding CO2? Basically, you have to get the plants growing well enough to out compete the algae

ruud

• Follow an 8 -hour light regime and restrict the max light intensity with a dimmer (especially if you refrain from CO2 injection).
  • Create decent flow in your tank; see to it that all leaves move a tiny bit; an effective way is using a spraybar along the length of your tank; even if it is just temporary. If you can create this with a spraybar that is on one side, that is OK too. Why a spraybar? To create even flow.
  • "Understocked" to me means I have not enough fish to provide nutrients to my plants; it seems this is not the case in your situation. Im sure you want to keep the fish in your tank, so you need to add (way) more plants.
  • Once your flow is OK and you added more plants, follow the Estimative index (aka. Duckweed index as I learned on this forum).

Modest light (without CO2 injection); decent water movement; lots of plants; Estimative index (at least initially) = no (visible) algaes.

Good luck.

sarxlives

What fertilizers are you using besides Flourish? Would you consider adding CO2? Basically, you have to get the plants growing well enough to out compete the algae
Other than Flourish, that's it. I was planning on starting a CO2 system but wanted to deal with this issue first.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cbgarner2002
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sheena-Phx
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies