Awesome weekend, got free aquarium complete setup

  • Thread starter

AwNuts

Valued Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
1
Points
103
Experience
5 years
So i had an awesome weekend and i wanted to share it with you all.


So this weekend one of my buddies decided to give me a complete aquarium set up for free as he didn't have the time to set it up. He bought it from a lawyer in town who has multiple tanks. It seems that this lawyer had salt water fishes in this setup but didn't have corals. Get this, the tank is not drilled, so its a plus as i can choose which way i want to go.

The tank is a 75 gallon tank with stand and a full 48" light bar with glass top. The plus side for me is that this tank set up came with a nice Marienland Magnum 350 Diatomite Canister Filter (not familiar with this filter so i would appreciate some feedback). I check the canister and it seems to be working just fine. Its complete internally as it was filled with water and comes with hoses and what not. Although for some reason i have a feeling that this filter came with a biowheel and if so that is the only thing that is missing. Can someone confirm if this filter suppose to have a biowheel and if it is easy to get. It also came with a pretty big size heater which seems to be in great condition as well. It also came with two nice power heads, haven't checked the brand but on one of the sides it says 550 on both.

other than that, last night i did a leak test which it passed and i cleaned it pretty good. I will be filling the internal canister filter with Carbon and buying a new fiber sleeve to wrap the filter.

Input on the filter will be appreciated.

Thanks

738.jpg

739.jpg

740.jpg

741.jpg

742.jpg

743.jpg

744.jpg
 

btate617

Well Known Member
Messages
3,432
Reaction score
77
Points
218
Experience
More than 10 years
No ideas on the filter, but get down with your bad self nice tank!



























Would make a nice American cichlid tank haha
 
  • Moderator

Lucy

Moderator
Messages
45,209
Reaction score
2,426
Points
1,383
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow, very cool, lucky you.
Ken e-mailed his diatom filter instructions to me, If you want, I can try and e-mail it to you.
 
  • Thread starter

AwNuts

Valued Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
1
Points
103
Experience
5 years
sure,
also i did some good research on this filter and found that it didn't need the bio wheel. My filter is complete. lol. I'm only missing the edge clip which holds both hoses with tubes in place and won't let it fall out.

but yeah, its an awesome tank. Cichlids are in mind.

i will be deep cleaning all of the aquarium accessories to make them look like new. Nothing looks better than some well polished shoes lol.

also i will be giving away a two piece under gravel filter that came with this aquarium if anyone wants it. fits perfectly on the 75gal tank.
 

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Messages
22,858
Reaction score
122
Points
518
Experience
More than 10 years
Cool deal you got there!
Now the whole site knows what I'm going to suggest for this tank I'm such a loachaholic

Sand substrate... Kuhli loaches and Dojo loaches
Then yoyo loaches or even a few Clown Loaches(although clowns will need a bigger tank on down the road a bit)
Then a couple of schools of flashy danios for dithers. Roseus or choprae either one would do.


As Brian suggested it would make a great cichlid tank also
Carol
 

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Messages
461
Reaction score
2
Points
113
Experience
2 years
Sweet deal! Have fun and post pics when it's all set up!
 
  • Thread starter

AwNuts

Valued Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
1
Points
103
Experience
5 years
Butterfly said:
Cool deal you got there!
Now the whole site knows what I'm going to suggest for this tank I'm such a loachaholic

Sand substrate... Kuhli loaches and Dojo loaches
Then yoyo loaches or even a few Clown Loaches(although clowns will need a bigger tank on down the road a bit)
Then a couple of schools of flashy danios for dithers. Roseus or choprae either one would do.


As Brian suggested it would make a great cichlid tank also
Carol

very awesome suggestion, it would look extremely nice.
 
  • Thread starter

AwNuts

Valued Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
1
Points
103
Experience
5 years
and i have been thinking of sand substrate as it looks very very nice.
 

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Messages
3,374
Reaction score
24
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
Great Find Overall. As an owner of a Magnum 350 I can tell you I got a RED FLAG for the sand. the 350 impeller is on the bottom and believe me no matter how high the sand is from the intake it will suck sand inside and will damage the magnet on the impeller and they are not cheap. Around $25 to $30. I got one because mine got damage by sand and raised the intake tube to around half tank height and it got damage again in about 6 months or so. It works perfect for planted tanks but for sand I even tried putting sponges and nope. I see from the pics that is missing the parts for intake and the outflow of water. I got them for cheap at BigAl's. If I were you I leave it running for a day or 2 with bleach and water. I did it with mine on a 5 gal bucket. Hope this help.
 

btate617

Well Known Member
Messages
3,432
Reaction score
77
Points
218
Experience
More than 10 years
Butterfly said:
As Brian suggested it would make a great cichlid tank also
Carol

ATTENTION PLEASE

Brian did not suggest a cichlid tank, he suggested an American cichlid tank........ just for the record.


Seriously though whatever you pick it should be a fun tank to stock, good luck!


Brian
 

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Messages
39,061
Reaction score
337
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning!

Great find! Congrats! I'll be looking forward to updates from you.

Lucy, the filter in the photo is different than the Vortex Diatom filters. The Vortex Diatoms are not meant to be used around the clock.

Check out this link:

See if it's the same as what you have.

Ken
 
  • Moderator

Lucy

Moderator
Messages
45,209
Reaction score
2,426
Points
1,383
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for clarifying Ken
I sent aw nuts what you sent to me and told him you didn't use yours daily.
He was doing additional research as well.
 
  • Thread starter

AwNuts

Valued Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
1
Points
103
Experience
5 years
navyscuba said:
Great Find Overall. As an owner of a Magnum 350 I can tell you I got a RED FLAG for the sand. the 350 impeller is on the bottom and believe me no matter how high the sand is from the intake it will suck sand inside and will damage the magnet on the impeller and they are not cheap. Around $25 to $30. I got one because mine got damage by sand and raised the intake tube to around half tank height and it got damage again in about 6 months or so. It works perfect for planted tanks but for sand I even tried putting sponges and nope. I see from the pics that is missing the parts for intake and the outflow of water. I got them for cheap at BigAl's. If I were you I leave it running for a day or 2 with bleach and water. I did it with mine on a 5 gal bucket. Hope this help.


what part do you refer to for the intake and outflow? are you talking about the clip that holds both together?

one thing that i am missing is the outflow diffuser tip. i have the little elbow but i don't have the outer tip (see pic of reference)
763.jpg


if anyone has one laying around let me know. Thru marineland i could buy the outlet tube with the diffuser for 8 dollars. So if i can't find the tip by itself then i will be buying the piece shown on the picture.


and thanks, i will stay away from sand.


Also i got a little zipblock bag with with THREE extra impellers :)
 

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Messages
3,374
Reaction score
24
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
AwNuts said:
what part do you refer to for the intake and outflow? are you talking about the clip that holds both together?

one thing that i am missing is the outflow diffuser tip. i have the little elbow but i don't have the outer tip (see pic of reference)
763.jpg


if anyone has one laying around let me know. Thru marineland i could buy the outlet tube with the diffuser for 8 dollars. So if i can't find the tip by itself then i will be buying the piece shown on the picture.

and thanks, i will stay away from sand.

Also i got a little zipblock bag with with THREE extra impellers :)
No problem. The part I'm talking about is the diffuser part. On the other hand If I was you I put the Intake and outflow on opposite parts of the tank, This way you maximize your water movement. You can try ebay for parts. Hey if you ever need to replace the impeller shaft because is bent or out of balance a stainless steel 1/8" rod works perfect. Mine got out of balance and was looking to make one and just happen to find a Tig welding Rod at work and I check for diameter and it was perfect. So I cut it to size and put it in. Works perfect and one single rod can make about 15 of this shafts. haha DIY to the rescue.
 
  • Thread starter

AwNuts

Valued Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
1
Points
103
Experience
5 years
good idea with the rod, i will definitely keep it in mind. When i was looking at the filter inlet and outlet i did think of having a good separation of both of them that way the filtered water is not being sucked in right after it comes out since they are so close. Also i have two power heads that I'm planning on putting them in with a timer and having the tank planted. It would be a very cool effect seeing the plants move along with a full bubbler bar from one end of the tank to the next.

I'm going to check now on ebay to see if i could find the diffuser. Also i was wondering if my LFS has any parts filter parts such as the diffuser.
 

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Messages
3,374
Reaction score
24
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
AwNuts said:
good idea with the rod, i will definitely keep it in mind. When i was looking at the filter inlet and outlet i did think of having a good separation of both of them that way the filtered water is not being sucked in right after it comes out since they are so close. Also i have two power heads that I'm planning on putting them in with a timer and having the tank planted. It would be a very cool effect seeing the plants move along with a full bubbler bar from one end of the tank to the next.

I'm going to check now on ebay to see if i could find the diffuser. Also i was wondering if my LFS has any parts filter parts such as the diffuser.
Maybe you can build one of these.
https://www.loaches.com/articles/river-tank-manifold-design
 
  • Thread starter

AwNuts

Valued Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
1
Points
103
Experience
5 years
i saw this article a while back. I thought it was pretty neat but if I'm not wrong i believe at one point the guy started having some issues with the suction portion by where the sponge is at. He had some blockage issues and other issues occur. Then he had to modify it a bit more to be satisfied.

One of the issues that he was not too happy about was when maintenance time came around, as he tried to remove the sponge media, it created a huge mess.

i could definitely create a river flow effect if i put both power heads on one side with a timer and mess around with positioning to get a cool flow. then i can place the canister suction tube in the opposite end lol.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom