Awesome find for API test tubes

philly27

old post, but i found the drying racks were not long enough to stand alone from the bottom. they would sit in a puddle of water and take just as long as the typical way of drying the glass tubes. i just used a piece of nylon and drilled small holes in it and went to hobby lobby and bought 10 inch plastic sticks with a ballpoint tip. i can send pics if anybody even cares to what im talking about. they dry in about 20 minutes or so.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

old post, but i found the drying racks were not long enough to stand alone from the bottom. they would sit in a puddle of water and take just as long as the typical way of drying the glass tubes. i just used a piece of nylon and drilled small holes in it and went to hobby lobby and bought 10 inch plastic sticks with a ballpoint tip. i can send pics if anybody even cares to what im talking about. they dry in about 20 minutes or so.
I would like to see!

Upvote 0

philly27

I would like to see!
its not pretty per say, but it gets the job done. i bought a drying rack on amazon and it was basically ineffective...it needs air to breath from the bottom. i just drilled holes tight enough to wiggle those bad boys in and they are extremely sturdy. i have 4 tanks so it really comes in handy. btw those blue sticks were a few cents each.
image0 (1).jpeg

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I took a disposable coffee cup, folded up a paper towel, put it in the bottom. After rinsing I stick the tubes in it upside down. It doesn't look especially pretty, but I keep it in a desk drawer, so it doesn't matter. The best thing is it cost about $0.25.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I took a disposable coffee cup, folded up a paper towel, put it in the bottom. After rinsing I stick the tubes in it upside down. It doesn't look especially pretty, but I keep it in a desk drawer, so it doesn't matter. The best thing is it cost about $0.25.
I have plant baskets that I flip the tube into with paper towel underneath them. They are in the API test kit box. I just keep the ammonia, nitrate and ph on the other side because thats usually all I need.

Screenshot_20210417-130006_Gallery.jpg

Upvote 0

MomOfLiveBearers

Agreed. If they were a bit taller it would have been perfect. I ended up placing them upside down in the holes and balancing them on the lower joke so it wouldn't fall through.
I have 6 tanks now do I now use this. It gets the job done.

IMG_20210408_200854896.jpg

Upvote 0

John58ford

I found the solution to that racks drain problem to be a rubber band criss-cross between the pegs.

20210420_123505.jpg
20210420_123754.jpg

When I only have one set of tubes on one of these racks I prefer that the pegs are short as I'm less likely to tip it over brushing against them. I'm glad someone else has found these on their own, I think I mentioned them in one of the tank maintenance threads a year or more ago but it wasn't seen by too many of us (much like this thread I somehow missed lol).

Upvote 0

John58ford

Update on this tube rack. Apparently they listened to their customers and added a block to elevate the tubes for drainage, originally I have used rubber bands. I didn't see this in the description and only half the product pictures show it but I'm 100% behind this thing for the way I test now. I honestly re-ordered the thing regardless of the update and was happily suprised on un-boxing it. Here are some comparison photos of the original and current version:

20220107_134349.jpg

20220107_134340.jpg

20220107_134400.jpg

20220107_134527.jpg

20220107_135158.jpg
It holds the tubes so much straighter and consistent. One of the things you didn't know you needed, but now the old way looks trashy in comparison.

Attachments

• 20220107_134543.jpg
    20220107_134543.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ForceTen
  • Question
Replies