Awesome activity from new clowns!

1. Dasquee Member Member

Well, I recently got my birthday present from my parents, which was a new clown for my 80G tank and up till today she seemed fairly shy which I've expected as I learnt they seem to do that when new. Anyway, today she (I think, really fat) was doing some really funny swimming near the top corners of the tank, sort of doing a spiral then would go to a different corner and do it again, but tonight things are even more interesting!
    She's probably about 5-6inches long and easily 1 wide and 3 high, which is considerably bigger then my others but just before I noticed they were all swimming happily together but doing something I'd never seen them do before. The smaller ones are swimming alongside the big one, sort of like they're tied together with string, almost cheek to cheek, its so cute! They seem so happy :D It's really amazing to watch, as they're tumbling and diving and never lose their position!

Anyone seen anything like this before? I've got some friends who have some big ones in really big tanks, and have seen a number of big ones in fish shops etc but haven't seen this behavior before. I'm guessing something like she's adopted all the smaller ones. It's so awesome :)

2. VenomGrass Member Member

Aww thats amazing! I bet it's very interesting to watch. I can't speak from too much experience as I'm new to the hobby but I have certainly seen this behaviour from my albino rainbow shark and the neon tetras! They all seem to enjoy swimming with her; maybe they feel safe with your clown :p

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Dasquee. Your fish sound wonderful. I hope you can share some photos. Happy belated birthday!
    Ken

4. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Yeah my clowns do similar clowing around antics :;banaman

the only thing I would watch out for and this has given me a heart attack one too many times!! They love to wind us humans up, I have come down to see them lying on their side on the bottom a few times not moving and I really thought they were dead then they sort of move and look at me as if to go haha got ya!

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Lol Diggly. Butterfly/Carol has posted photos of her Clowns sleeping on their sides. They frightened her. Clowns are notorious for scaring their owners.
    Ken

6. Dasquee Member Member

Haha yeah I've gotten used to it, almost all of mine sleep on their sides and quite often just lounge around all day. I'll try and take some photos to put up tomorrow, but I don't usually have any luck. Silly things never stay still!

7. Diggly Well Known Member Member

haha, unless they are trying to scare you! :D. I will hve to get a picture of my clown sleeping in a slate cave on his side complete with tail sticking out. He reminds me of a college student haha.

8. cwb141 Member Member

I can vouch for that

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

10. Dasquee Member Member

Haha thats an awesome photo butterfly! Mine at the moment are really silly, they don't come out during the day only at night and still aren't eating but it took my others a while. The really funny thing is my two biggest are cramming their way into a small log at the same time, when they really shouldn't be able to fit.. It looks so silly :)