Avoiding Mini Bloom when Changing filters

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by scrapin240, Aug 6, 2015.

1. s

scrapin240 New Member Member

Hi All,

New to the forums and to a bigger fish tank. I have a 50 gallon tank with a Penn Plax Cascade 700. It's been running since May, so about 3 months. There about 5 plants in there, along with about 60% stock.

I've changed out the floss pads twice, and this last time I changed out the carbon and floss pads and it seems the tank has gone into a mini-bloom cycle; cloudy water and now dissipating.

My filter has:
    Lower tray: Floss Pad then Marineland Activated Carbon with Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals
    Upper Tray: Floss Pad then Coarse pad
    On top of that tray: Bio Sponge

Everything has checked out fine #s wise, but the tank was getting some particles floating around, hence the reason I decided to change out the 3 pieces of media?

Is what I'm doing wrong? Any tips?

2. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

You generally don't need to replace the floss until it's literally falling apart. Just swish and squeeze it in a container of tank water or dechlorinated water.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to fishlore :;hi1

You should only change out one part of the three pieces of media each time to avoid mini-cycles :)

Your sponges should last a year easily if you rinse them weekly in old tank water. Your carbon would be the piece you change out the most often, monthly or? whatever the directions say.

4. OP
    OP
    s

scrapin240 New Member Member

I guess reading this and I'm like yeah that makes sense...sometimes it pays to step back think about what you're doing.

Thanks for the help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice