Average Neocaridina Cost?

oodelally

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was just wondering what is considered a “good price” for these guys are. For something that is supposed to breed like crazy they seem kinda spendy. At my LFS and sometimes petsmart all kinds seem to be $5, and I got mine off Craigslist $2 for reds and $3 for the yellows which seems more decent. I want to get some blues though which aren’t on Craigslist, and all shrimp seem like twice as much online.

FishRFriendz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
$2 each from local breeders is good. Local stores will more likely be $4+. Online, it's the shipping that gets you. Sure you can buy 1 for $1, and then it's $10 shipping. Some colors are harder to breed or have lower yield so a little more for dream blue and yellow is expected.

Since I started selling them 2 years ago online, I've been trying to push the online hobby price down to $2 each after shipping. This usually means they need to be sold in quantity to make that work. like 20 for $40 shipped. Which really means it's 20 for $1.50 each and then $10 shipping.

I haven't been selling online since the start of this year and I can see the prices ppl are charging creeping back up. Business was kinda insane when I first started selling them since I forced prices down so much.

RyanC14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've found many places to sell cherry and orange shrimp for $4-5 and for other colors usually $7-9.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Blues are usually more expensive, I think I paid 10$ for a lot of my blue types. I say 7-10$ for blue.

oodelally

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
$10! Wow. I guess the price is because you only need a few to begin with. I’m lucky with just a straight $5 then. I was thinking it was strange when I saw all cherries the same price with a large collection of varieties since I’ve heard reds are usually the cheapest. I was less surprised with petsmart because they were just all mixed together in one tank.

I would go back and just get them there because they have a two week return policy and are much closer, but they’ve been advertising having these guys since the beginning of summer and last week was the first time I saw them. I got the only blue and two DEEP red ones and now I need more!

oodelally

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FishRFriendz said:
$2 each from local breeders is good. Local stores will more likely be $4+. Online, it's the shipping that gets you. Sure you can buy 1 for $1, and then it's $10 shipping. Some colors are harder to breed or have lower yield so a little more for dream blue and yellow is expected.

Since I started selling them 2 years ago online, I've been trying to push the online hobby price down to $2 each after shipping. This usually means they need to be sold in quantity to make that work. like 20 for $40 shipped. Which really means it's 20 for $1.50 each and then $10 shipping.

I haven't been selling online since the start of this year and I can see the prices ppl are charging creeping back up. Business was kinda insane when I first started selling them since I forced prices down so much.
Is it the same for blue velvet as it with blue dream? I’m surprised about the yellows, IME they have been the easiest to adapt and to breed.

I’m the type that likes the instant colonies. I started off with 20 I think cause I thought that was a good price and wanted to take advantage. He has chocolates for $3 too but I didn’t like those since they didn’t show up on anything but the white sand and didn’t seem to adapt well.

Do you have a website or do you just sell through here? Why did you stop?

FishRFriendz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oodelally said:
Is it the same for blue velvet as it with blue dream? I’m surprised about the yellows, IME they have been the easiest to adapt and to breed.

I’m the type that likes the instant colonies. I started off with 20 I think cause I thought that was a good price and wanted to take advantage. He has chocolates for $3 too but I didn’t like those since they didn’t show up on anything but the white sand and didn’t seem to adapt well.

Do you have a website or do you just sell through here? Why did you stop?
Blue velvets are cheap, there isn't as much demand for a light blue. Blue dream is in high demand so prices tend to be higher. Orange being pretty close to red doesn't see as much demand. Yellow isn't in such high demand or wasn't when I was really monitoring demand. Sometimes some fads or exposure will increase the demand, I can see yellow taking off if it gets really featured by a youtuber. Blue statistically is more favorite color by ppl. Honestly it doesn't show up in a tank at a glance as nicely as yellow or red. But it's more ppls favorite so... it tends to be expensive. $3 each Blue dream is about right for hobby sellers. I charged that much $40 for 10 shipped.

Dream blue was kinda slow growing, my survival rates weren't as good as red. My friend that provided me yellows said his yellows were really slow too. His oranges he said were like red as far as colony population growth speed.

I stopped selling cuz I ran out of Dream blue shrimp, and I was doing a rack redo so the shrimp had to get reestablished. Now I'm sick and I dunno, I just don't feel like doing the work right now. Plus the Dream blue are still not quite established, especially since they also went to the new rack. And thinking of moving to a new house... so I dunno.

There's a buy/sell section of the forum. Also most sales are on reddit. Just more ppl there. I've tried other sites but once I got to reddit... I stopped doing forums as much cuz that kinda overwhelmed me already.

oodelally

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FishRFriendz said:
Blue velvets are cheap, there isn't as much demand for a light blue. Blue dream is in high demand so prices tend to be higher. Orange being pretty close to red doesn't see as much demand. Yellow isn't in such high demand or wasn't when I was really monitoring demand. Sometimes some fads or exposure will increase the demand, I can see yellow taking off if it gets really featured by a youtuber.

Dream blue was kinda slow, my survival rates weren't as good as red. My friend that provided me yellows said his yellows were really slow too. His oranges he said were like red as far as colony population growth speed.

I stopped selling cuz I ran out of Dream blue shrimp, and I was doing a rack redo so the shrimp had to get reestablished. Now I'm sick and I dunno, I just don't feel like doing the work right now. Plus the Dream blue are still not quite established, especially since they also went to the new rack. And thinking of moving to a new house... so I dunno.

There's a buy/sell section of the forum. Also most sales are on reddit. Just more ppl there. I've tried other sites but once I got to reddit... I stopped doing forums as much cuz that kinda overwhelmed me already.

Oh good, for me blue is blue! I’m not too picky about grades of colors, but it is nice to have those darker colors. I don’t know quite sure was a rack or a rack redo is, but if you ever get back into it I’d like to know!

FishRFriendz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oodelally said:
Oh I see! Nice! So it’s all shrimp?
Yeah, Blue Dream, Blue Jelly(sold as Sky Blue Velvet at Aquatic Arts), Yellow, Orange, Red, Red rili. One tank was supposed to be for my Tangerine Tigers, but right now It's holding some black or almost black Blue Dream culls.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom