Automotive LED Moonlights

1. cletus Member Member

I was killing some time today walking through Walmart and browsing thru the automotive department. I noticed some blue LED lights that were designed to be used on a vehicle. First thought that came to my mind was if they could be used as moonlights on my fish tank. Anyone have any experience using them for this purpose?

2. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

hmm, i don't see why you couldn't use them. i mean light is light.... especially blue leds

3. chuckb330 Initiate Member

Just have to make sure they are exterior LED lights. The interior ones usually sold are for interiors and are not waterproof and will not last in a damp atmosphere.

4. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

yeah, but it's not like the lights will be inside the tank....i'm assuming they'll rest on top of a glass top. but, idk. it might be a good idea to get exterior ones though

5. Slug Well Known Member Member

They will work fine. Depending on tank size they might be to bright for you, but they will work.

6. cletus Member Member

They had a couple of different ones. Some were not very long and I think there was one that was like a rope. I didn't look at them that much. The thought had just crossed my mind about using them later after I had left that isle and I didn't go back to look at them.

I would be using them over a glass canopy so I don't think that water or moisture would be an issue.

Blue is the correct spectrum for moonlights correct?

7. Slug Well Known Member Member

Technically, not really. A more white light would be used for FW and shallow SW reefs. But blue is the most universally used, and works, its just not technically correct. I have white moonlights myself.

Moonlight is just sunlight reflected (Diffuse reflection) back to us off the moon, as the moon gives off no light itself. Humans just have the tendency to see the light as blue tinted at night. Its really white light though.

8. fresh water Member Member

Those would work great. I have been looking for blue LED's never thought to look at Walmart, The 15" ones would fit perfect for me, and only $10 for 2 of them.
    Thanks for the information