automatic water changer

1. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Water changes in my house are stressful times. My husband has been doing them since I can't right now, and gets are crabby every time. He wants something that is not do-it-yourself that will automate changes, and apparently is willing to spend whatever money it takes. (I can always do gravel vacs separately.)

He especially likes the thought of some sort of drip system, although I have a bit of trouble with this since I don't understand how one would dechlorinate the water then... drip isn't necessary, as long as it will do the water change with minimal involvement.

Does this exist out there? It's a 30 gallon tank, very close to the kitchen sink. Any help would be appreciated - I think he wants to get rid of my tank, he gets so irritated. *sigh*

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

do you all have a python? i feel for you with changes :( i have a "few " tanks and have to use a bucket ...its no fun..especially no fun with your sig other doesnt care for it ...

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Nope, no python.

We have a water softener, and a RO unit. I've been using RO water in the tank, with a couple of gallons on water from outside to provide a bit of hardness. I could use water from the regular faucet, but it's the softened water (I've heard that the sodium added is miniscule and won't adversely affect freshwater fish, but I'm not positive about that).

The other issue is that the head of my faucet is one of the fancy ones that pulls out into a spray thing and is flared, so not a normal shape. I don't know if the python would screw onto that.

If I could use the softened water instead of RO water, this would help enormously. Our RO unit only holds 1.5 gallons of water (originally intended just for drinking), so it takes a day to gather enough water into a rubbermaid just to be able to do a water change. This is a HUGE pain.

If we could pour directly from the faucet into the tank, that would help a lot. The RO unit also has no temp control, so we've had a challenge with not shocking the fish, too. Do you think the softened water (with a bit of hard water from outside) would be okay?

If I understand its use correctly, a python fills the tank directly from the tap? How/at what point do you add conditioner? Isn't the chlorine going into the tank bad for the fish babies?

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

so the same as mine!!!! if you pm sirdarksol, he has some great suggestions on the python fitting the sinks even the fancy ones...or even going from the shower....

sounds like your water is just like mine also...softened with the blue bags of salt softner pellets...although by the time is cycles through are machine, there are no traces of salt......and ive always used my tap water with the correct temps from the faucet....

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm pretty sure that question has been answered on the forum somewhere.
    You would add the water conditioner right after replacing the used water. Treat enough for the tank, not just the water you're replacing.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

And you just add the conditioner to the tank before filling it? I think the spray hose is actually long enough to reach the tank, I may not even need the python. I'd be hopping around with excitement right now if I could move. :;hug2 :;thx

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

After filling it.
    lol @ the picture of you using the spray hose.

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry, I'd been researching auto water changers and not pythons before I finally asked the question on here, so I hadn't seen the answer. Thanks so much for the information. I'll go slowly to acclimate the fish from RO water to softened water, maybe over 3 weeks or so.

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

good luck and if you have the hose from the sink there, saves your 40 bucks or so on the python!!!! now hubby will be happy and you can get a few more tanks ;D

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

from your mouth to God's ears, Shawnie. fingers crossed. :) Thanks again for your help, girls.

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A python is as automated as it gets, and if you are physically able to do a gravel vac, you'll not need to ask for your husbands help with water changes.

I would NEVER have so many tanks if I had to use buckets.

12. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks Jaysee. That's the problem - at the moment, I'm not able to do the vacs even. Hopefully within 2 weeks I'll be back to normal. :)

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Oh I'm sorry, I misunderstood when you said you could do the gravel vacs seperately. I hope you're back on your feet soon.

14. crazedACD Member Member

Some guy on another forum builds a water changing mechanism into his clients' large tanks...the water fills a tank, ages, and then you push a button and the water changes out. But that's a lot of plumbing and stuff I don't know about :p Likely you'd have to contract someone to do that, wouldn't be worth it for a 30g, I think! Or, could just be an excuse to invest in a 300g tank as well ;).

15. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

ooh, 300 built into a wall... drool