automatic fish feeder

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Dean, Mar 16, 2010.

1. DeanValued MemberMember

Can anyone recommend a good automatic fish feeder? Thanks.

2. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

My husband, but I think we live too far away. ;)

Seriously, I've never ever heard good reviews on these. But it's been a very long time since I researched it. It'll be interesting to see what the good folks here have to say.

3. Fish_Man

Fish_ManValued MemberMember

Depends on how much you want to spend really....

I had this one...

not the greatest but if you anticipate on using the auto feeder for long periods of time... i would say get this one

or

4. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

I need one for the tank I'm setting up at my school. At home I do it or have a friend come over if I'm gone but at school for weekends/holidays/summer I need to get one. I'll still check up on them every week but won't be able to everyday.

5. CharlemagneValued MemberMember

I use just a generic one my dad bought me at the local Wal-Mart. I believe it's called the Daily Double ll. The only prob we've ever had with it is one time we came home from a trip, and found it floating in the fish tank. That only happened once though, and all of the fish were still alive. It has an adjustable mouth thingy so you can control (up to a point) how much food comes out. I think it will hold about 3 weeks worth of food for a 30 gal tank. Hope this helps, and you can set up a nice healthy aquarium!

6. cm11599ps

cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

I've had my tank for about 12 years now. Here's a pic.

128.jpg

We keep picture frames and such on top of it and there are usually more frames then the 2 shown in the picture. As you can imagine, feeding the fish is a little bit of a pain.

A few months ago I purchased an automatic feeder along with a python gravel cleaner. Those 2 things make my life SO much easier.

I haven't tried flakes in my feeder, only small cichild pellets. So far, so good though. I have the last feeder linked above but mine was nowhere near $90. I think it was like half that price. The supply lasts about 3-4 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
  7. cm11599ps

Oh, and on a side note to show you how smart my fish are. I currently have an Oscar, Green Terror, Parrot & a Jack Dempsey. If you walk past the tank or open the tank they'll swim to the surface wherever you are. Many fish do that. Mine do that and take it to the next level.....

My feeder dispenses are about 7pm every night. You can see my tank from my kitchen table or in my living room. At about 6:50pm you will see my fish all hang about at the dispense site. There's no noise, no light or anything I can tell to alert the fish that far in advance that it's feeding time. They just know. It's pretty incredible to see.

8. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

cm..., Do you remember where you bought/seen that auto feeder cheaper?

also, that's pretty amazing how well their internal clock works. How did they do with the time change?

9. cm11599ps

Well, they still go there at the same time, only 6pm now because I haven't adjusted the time on the feeder yet. lol

With this unit you can dispense at 4 different times during the day. At each dispense you have the option to repeat about a minute later giving you a total of 8 feedings a day if you so desire. I feed twice a day, once about noon and the other about 7pm. I'm thinking about making the noon feeding earlier though. I'll probably change that when I get around to changing the time on it.

A word of caution though. I've read bad reviews on the unit breaking down after a year or so. People say they didn't realize the unit was broken until some of their fish starved to death. I hardly blame the unit for that, that's user error. Even though I use the feeder I still go and watch my guys eat at 7pm a few times a week. If you practice this common sense method then you have nothing to worry about. lol Some people are just for lack of a better word, stupid.

Heck, even if the unit DOES break in a year or so I'm happy to shell out another $40 to replace it because it saves me loads of time and makes my life easier.

Being new to the forum I'm not sure about what links I can and can't post for other stores. I got it at a VERY large online site and it was $40.

10. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

I'm pretty sure you can tell me what site. never heard that you can't

11. cm11599ps

Well, it shares it's name with a big rainforest in South America. lol

12. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

gotchya. thanks

13. bubblynutter

bubblynutterWell Known MemberMember

14. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

Bubblynutter, why the sad face?

15. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

This one works great.

Only about $28 on eBay.

16. bubblynutter

bubblynutterWell Known MemberMember

I'm not the best with geography...

17. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

I think I leaning towards the Eheim Twin Auto Fish Feeder so I can use more than one kind of food. Anyone use that one?

18. cm11599ps

Opps, my fault. The $90 price I saw in the link was for the dual feeder. It's actually $49 on the linked site.

19. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

bubblynutter, Amazon

20. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

Shawnie, Why all the edit's and deleated posts?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice