Automatic Fish Feeder Reccomendations?

distant2nd

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, I'm planning to be out of town for 18 days in August, and don't have anyone close by to feed the fish on a regular basis. I've been reading into automatic fish feeders, which might be the best option. In the past, I've used 7-14 day fish feeder blocks, but I'm thinking that my Zebra Danios really don't care for them much.

Anyone have any suggestions on auto feeders that can hold a 2-3 week capacity? I've read some reviews and looked at product descriptions, but nothing indicates how long the feeder capacity can supply before being refilled.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i have used the feeding blocks on my danios with sucess, what ever you decide i would run it for a week or two in july and make sure you are comfortable with it before the trip
hopefully someone else will come along with more info for you
best of luck

distant2nd

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Kloseo =) My concern is that I'll be gone for 18 days, and the longest feeding block I've come across is 10 days. I'd have to get someone to drive out to the house and drop another 7 day block, which I'm not sure if I'll be able to make that happen. =\

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Feeding blocks can be really hit or miss. Many years ago, I used them a couple of times. Once, it worked, and the next time, my fish died.

If someone feeding them and doing a water change or two is really not possible, then I would suggest an auto feeder set to only feed every 2 or three days, and lightly at that.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ive always been afraid to use them, afraid they will over feed and i will have a disaster when i return

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
since you have a bit of time before you are going out of town, you could always get a auto feeder now and test it out over the next few weeks.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I really like my Eheim. I had another one that was so unreliable I got rid of it. I can't remember what kind it was but it wasn;t anywhere near the quality of the Eheim.

distant2nd

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks all, and especially Nate, which Eheim model do you have? How long can it go before having to refill? Will i be able to be out of town for 2-3 weeks without food running out in it?

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try here:

Got my Eheim for $28 on EBay

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry for the delay! The 3581 is the same one I got as well. The other brand I had was "Lifeguard" and was a waste of money and fish food.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
distant2nd said:
Thanks all, and especially Nate, which Eheim model do you have? How long can it go before having to refill? Will i be able to be out of town for 2-3 weeks without food running out in it?
The Eheim can go for 4 weeks. Not a problem since healthy fish can go 10 days or more without food.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads