Automatic Fish Feeder--Important Because I'm Leaving Soon

Thoughtsprocket

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI there!

I'm training someone to take care of my 20 gallon planted aquarium while I'm away at grad school for two months. I need to purchase one double feeder or two separate reliable automatic fish feeders that won't break the bank. I need to feed two kinds of food. Flake for the guppies and small concave wafers for the catfish. The tank caretaker will be here everyday and can fill the reservoir. So that's not a problem. Does anyone have recommendations? Thanks in advance!!!

OP
T

Thoughtsprocket

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hellllloooooo out there! Me, me, me! og3 Does anyone have suggestions for me. I really, really, really am unsure of what to purchase. Thank ya, kindly!

hross

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If the tank caretaker is going to be there everyday could you just have that person feed the correct amount?

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree I would rather get them to feed the fish then trust some mechanical device. Too many things could go wrong

OP
T

Thoughtsprocket

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for asking that question. His work schedule is not on the fish's schedule. Everything is on timers already. So, I thought it would be one less thing for him to have to think about. I'd like him to focus on watching for fish problems, perform proper water changes, maintaining plants, QTing if necessary, etc.

Really? I've read that so many people swear by their automatic feeders. I hear you about preferring to have him feed daily, but his schedule is very erratic. He is here and will check on everything, but I don't trust that he'll remember to feed them. I do trust that he'll check everything when he does get home. And I trust him to perform water changes,etc. It's just the feeding that I'm concerned about. Thanks for your input.

OP
T

Thoughtsprocket

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hm, my reply went "poof"! So if for some reason it does show up here, forgive the double post. I wrote thank you to Anders247. And basically said I am now very worried. Having an 'ugh' moment.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your fish will be fine if he forgets to feed them sometimes. Too much food will be much worse for them

OP
T

Thoughtsprocket

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You're right about too much food. Ack. I guess I have to hope for the best and let it go in my mind for two months. But GAWL, my dudes/guys/nurtured/healthy fish! It will be hard to leave them. Thank you to everyone for your input.

New Threads