automatic feeders

1. roseofsharon Initiate Member

Has anyone had any luck with automatic feeders? (Not the feeding blocks, but the automatic feeders that you program)

I have a 3 gallon tank with one betta and plan to be gone for a few days (up to 3 days).this winter during the holidays..is it worth purchasing a feeder? The tank is glass...I am afraid that with the weather conditions we may be delayed on our trip this winter....would always be worried that my betta would be very hungry by the time we get back. I have read awful things about those feeding blocks, so I hesitate to use those.

Any thoughts?

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I haven't used one, but people here don't recommend them. Fish can live for about a week without food, apparently (though I have never tried with mine). The automatic feeders tend to overfeed apparently.

If someone you know has a key, you could leave one of those divided pill boxes with the right amount of food in the containers on top of or next to the tank. That way, if you are delayed, you could call your neighbor or friend and ask them to go in and feed your fish, and you don't have to worry about overfeeding and coming back to dead fish.

3. Borisbbadd Guest

That would be the best idea,

I've heard alot of horror stories about the automatic feeders.

Randy

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Your betta can easily be left alone for 3 days. If you're still uncomfortable with it, portioning out the food for a friend is a good idea. :)

5. roseofsharon Initiate Member

thanks

Ya, that is basically how I feel...my hubby is worried, bless his heart, he loves that fish...I'll have to reassure him......and leaving the key is a good idea..

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I agree he will be fine for 3 days...give him a nice meal, and a nice water change before you leave, and he will be ok :) ...he wont be happy with you, but its better than over feeding which both feeders and friends helping to feed them, tend to do...the betta kids beg so much, most non aquatic friends dont realize its not good to overfeeed and they just cant help the pouting from the betta lol....have a great trip!