Automatic Feeder

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I will be away from home for 3 weeks and would like a automatic feeder. But what i am looking for is one that allows me to skip a day on feeding. for example I want to feed Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.
I know most of the feeders out there are daily feeders that's to say they run once or multiple time per day.

Does anyone have a recommendation.

Thanks

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So as another problem occurred to me, Has anyone come up with a good way to dose fertilizer while on extended absences?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This seems a little drastic but is programmable from your phone or tablet. Only thing i came up with even the $50 ones are daily.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This seems a little drastic but is programmable from your phone or tablet. Only thing i came up with even the $50 ones are daily.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I was on vacation for three weeks I had my brother in law feed the fish 1-2 a week. Can you get somebody to come in and feed?

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tjander said:
So as another problem occurred to me, Has anyone come up with a good way to dose fertilizer while on extended absences?
There are auto dosers. I've only seen them from watching youtube vids, I'm not sure how great they are. They all seem very expensive.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If someone can come feed for you, I can tell you how to make it easy. I have 4 tanks and a pond to worry about when I go out of town. I buy those red plastic shot glasses that look like red solo cups. Then I fill them for each tank and mark which tank they go in. That way someone just has to come in and dump them for me. That’s when having 4 adult kids comes in handy. Lol

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A warm body would be great, unfortunately that is not an option. In regards, to the expense of units, that is not really an issue for me. If anyone has a recommendation please pass it along.
@Goldiemom thanks for the idea, I have also heard of people using weekly pill box’s for people to feed the fish.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@david1978. Yea 135 dollars is a bit over the top. Seems like an easy thing but I don’t have the time to design and build a timer anyway I wi keep looking.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I trust my keepers that come over to feed, but I cannot stand leaving my fish for that long just wondering what could happen.
My last vacation was great, but I had to leave home with the tank having a bacteria bloom, and I was a bit nervous.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feel the same way. Short weekend trips are ok but when I leave for a week or longer I worry that the tanks aren’t getting w/c’s. I don’t trust anyone on that.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I think I got a work around I am setting the unit to on disperse a small amount it seems that most of the food will build up and not drop into the tank until the second cycle so it will be light day then a heavy day. Looks about the best I can do.
The other option is to feed them heavy for a few days before I go and just put them on a three week diet. I don’t like this option, but what ya all think?

MrT

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You said “ in reference to the expense of the units, that’s not really an issue with me.” Then go with a Neptune APEX system . You can set up automated feeding for basically any routine you want for any time and or day. And if you decide to change it, you can do so with your smart phone or any other device with internet connection when you are away from home. You can also do the same thing for dosage using their DOS module.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks, I looked at it and although 1000 dollars is not really an issue for me my wife would toss me and my tanks out of the house. Does look like a nice system. Thank again

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom