Auto Water Change System like this. Anyone tried it and a stupid question ?

Per Albertsen

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have been trying to figure out how to make my water changes as easy as possible (without breaking my back) on my upcoming 800 Litre tank.

Have seen different systems on YouTube (mostly drip systems), that require either a lot of "handyman" skills (which I do not have) or that you have your tank placed correctly in regards to water supplies and places to get rid of the water.

Was about to give up on an "auto-system" until I found this video:

Basically, the system is pretty easy to understand and I will for sure try this out. I know there is still work to do and the buckets on each side of the tank will look stupid, but for me it is a perfect water change setup. However, would like to hear if anyone have tried it like in the video and if there are things I should be aware of?

Also have a properly a totally stupid question, but it has become kind of a riddle to me after watching the video:My tank will have an already built in overflow in one side connected to the sump. If I build that setup in the video and add one more DIY overflow, then will it still work with the other overflow also running. Or should I somehow do an overflow in the sump and lead the water out from there?

Sorry, if it is a stupid question :) I can't really see the clear picture and unfortunately do not have the tank yet to test it on. But once setup in 3-4 weeks I will post my experience with it here. Would be great with some "handyman"/"smart people" comments/suggestions :)

Dovah

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have no answer to your question but I just wanted to say congratulations on your new tank. That's a nice big one, interested to know what you're going to be stocking!

@I3uckethead is a "handyman/smart people" and he may be able to help you.

OP
Per Albertsen

Per Albertsen

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have been doing a lot of research of various Automatic Water Change Systems since my last post and would like to share my findings with you all.

Besides various DIY ways, there are the following possibilities that seems to be good and used by others:

• Apex System Controller and DOS Add-on.
  • Litermeter III dosing system.
  • Stenner Dual Pump
  • Kore 5th dosing station
  • Genesis Renew System

If you are interested, you can look up the solutions online. Some like the Apex are really expensive, but you also then get other options like e.g. controlling basically anything attached to your tank.

After researching every system and watching tons of reviews online, I have decide to go with the Kore 5th dosing station from Pacific Sun. My reasons are:

• Fair Pricing compared to its features
  • Pretty precise Dripping System prepare to also handle Auto Water Changes
  • Control and Monitoring using computer (Wifi)
  • From Europe, so I can be pretty sure it supports 220 Volt and not only made for US-based tank keepers. (This is a HUGE problem for me and I do not understand why producers in the US are not more focused on World Wide sales.) "Lets make a product only for the US-market" just sounds like a stupid overall business idea.

No doubt the optimal solution would be the Apex with DOS. But that is simply just crazy expensive, especially if you are here in Thailand. From the resellers here, I have to pay more for the standard package, than the actually pricing for the Gold package, if I lived in the US. The Apex Jr. system is also not available here and I have to pay nearly twice official price for the DOS here. Plain Stupid!

I am pretty sure at one point, I will get hold of the Apex Controller, but will not be using that for the Automatic Water Changes.

Comparing the DIY solutions to the finished product solutions I will go for the product solution, because I am not a “handyman” and also because I really need the reliability and security that my tank will not overflow etc. I am sure, I could save a lot of money on a DIY system, but I know the result would be loss of time (same as money) and also a less effective and controllable end-result.

Anyway, I hope some of you here can use the above information, if you are also looking for a way to Automatically Change your water.

OP
Per Albertsen

Per Albertsen

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dovah said:
I have no answer to your question but I just wanted to say congratulations on your new tank. That's a nice big one, interested to know what you're going to be stocking!

@I3uckethead is a "handyman/smart people" and he may be able to help you.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it is a big tank... My biggest tank so far and I am sure, that I will need to divorce my wife, if I want to upgrade :)

I still have not thought much about stocking, besides that I want to make a "Thai-tank" with the same species that I can find there, if I go diving.

Will put some pics and data only once I get things setup. Just got info that the tank will be ready in 4 days... Cant wait :)

I3uckethead

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Really sounds like you've already done more research into this than I. When I thought about it, I was going to just run a constant drip through a charcoal filter and have a secondary overflow on the sump. I dislike trusting electronics to do it for me.

New Threads