Auto Fish Feeding

1. bgardner510

bgardner510 Valued Member Member

I need to auto feed a 75 gallon tank as I am going away this weekend, and It just dawned on me now I have no way to feed my fish lol.

I know they have auto fish feeders that drop flakes, but balas and barbs need more than that.

Any thoughts on solutions?

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Previously healthy fish should be able to live at least a week without food, so they won't need one.
    Oh, and bala sharks need at least 150 gallons since they are active and massive fish.

3. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

Agreed - no reason to worry about feeding fish over a weekend (or even a week for that matter) - they will be fine!

4. Samuel97

Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

Agreed, as long as your fish have been on a standard diet for the last two weeks at least, a weekend away from food isn't even the slightest problem. The larger the fish the longer (generally) they can go without food.

Even a single, let alone multiple. bala sharks aren't suitable for a 75gallon aquarium. whats your stocking and dimensions?

5. Reef13G YT

Reef13G YT Valued Member Member

If they are healthy they could probably go a week. To be safe you should give them some extra food before you leave

6. OP
    OP
    bgardner510

I feel like its torture to not feed them for 2-3 days though

7. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

If you aren't happy about it, can't a neighbour or family member feed them?

8. OP
    OP
    bgardner510

Its not that I'm not happy, I just feel guilty. Just trying to understand how they can be all well and good without eating a few days. Just want to understand thats all :)

9. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

In the wild, those fish don't get to eat everyday either. Some members here even fast the fish for a day or two/

10. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

They could eat the algae if they are hungry

11. OP
    OP
    bgardner510

Valid Points!

12. Samuel97

Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

Honestly in the wild 2-3 days without a good meal is totally normal and their bodies store energy reserves to use just like us. fasting can even bee a good wayto keep many types of fish healthy. Do you intend to upsize for the bala sharks?

13. Reef13G YT

What do I say to my fish

-Aww your hungry poor guy. EAT ALGAE!-

14. OP
    OP
    bgardner510

Yes I need a tank upgrade.... at the time the Balas were only a few inches, now that they are getting bigger time to either move them to a better home or get a new tank.

15. Reef13G YT

agreed, they are probably not comfortable. Like getting a yellow tang in a 30 gallon tank