Auto Fish Feeders?

raif281

40gl breeder tank about to start cycling next week. anybody have any luck with auto fish feeders? I'm often gone all weekend at the camp working or at a buddies or girlfriends house. also with college starting back up I won't be getting home till 9pm most days after leaving for work at 6:30 every morning. saw some diy but I'm not tech savvy enough to make my own. I've read up on a few cheaper ones that had bad reviews. just wondering if anyone has had a good experience with any auto fish feeder or maybe one you made yourself. thanks for the input in advance

TexasDomer

Are you talking about to help cycle your tank, or once the fish are in to feed them?

For feeding the fish, I think you would be fine feeding before you leave in the morning or when you get back at night. It's okay to not feed them on weekends too. I've heard some bad things about autofeeders (getting moldy, clogged, overfeeding), and it seems safer to feed yourself and let them go a few days without feeding when you're gone weekends. It won't hurt them.

raif281

Are you talking about to help cycle your tank, or once the fish are in to feed them?

For feeding the fish, I think you would be fine feeding before you leave in the morning or when you get back at night. It's okay to not feed them on weekends too. I've heard some bad things about autofeeders (getting moldy, clogged, overfeeding), and it seems safer to feed yourself and let them go a few days without feeding when you're gone weekends. It won't hurt them.

no not for cycling for feeding them. my ammonia to start my cycle should be in today. ok good to know, I've read on some sites the fish profiles say to feed them up to several times a day which I thought was really excessive. so once a day an no biggie if I can't on the weekends?

raif281

no not for cycling for feeding them. my ammonia to start my cycle should be in today. ok good to know, I've read on some sites the fish profiles say to feed them up to several times a day which I thought was really excessive. so once a day an no biggie if I can't on the weekends?

my ammonia is coming in Thursday so I will start cycling then! ok so ill do the once a day, skip weekends unless I'm home, and not worry about a automatic fish feeder.

PuffPuff

yeah stick to feeding them every other day. it cut the cleaning out the tank more frequently since the more they eat the more waste they make but the fish are fine going a week without food. but some find that a bit cruel. I don't follow it myself but its good to know incase you can't make it home for a couple of days.

TexasDomer

Once a day is fine too, you don't need to do every other day

raif281

yeah stick to feeding them every other day. it cut the cleaning out the tank more frequently since the more they eat the more waste they make but the fish are fine going a week without food. but some find that a bit cruel. I don't follow it myself but its good to know incase you can't make it home for a couple of days.

Once a day is fine too, you don't need to do every other day

great to know thanks!! glad I don't have to worry about them starving over the weekend an harming them some how like that. think I'll go with something like Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday and see how that works out.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EJohnson201912345
Replies
Views
barandemir09
Replies
Views
ILikeFishies
Replies
Views