Auto Feeders, thoughts?

1. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

With my birthday coming up I am hoping to upgrade some things on my tanks as well as get some stuff for my silly bird.

Does anyone have any experience with automatic feeders. I really think I want to get two for my 125 community. I never feed them more than once a day no matter how hard I try. Then I'm not a fan of doing such a big feeding. I'm considering having the auto feeder do a morning feeding of pellets and then I feed frozen or whatever when I get home.

Likes and dislikes with them?

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I can't seem to feed my fish more than once a day either. Sometimes they don't even get that.

I have no experience with them. You've got enough tanks - isn't there anything else you can upgrade?

I'm super impressed with my LED lights for the 55.

3. plecodragon Well Known Member Member

You have to be careful with some auto-feeders as they can become clogged with fish food and moisture from the tank and then won' release the food. Another problem is regulating the amount of food released. Some release too much others to little. It can really pollute your tanks if not watched. I had one and it was hard to judge how much to release for the fish, you don' want to overfeed. If you do decide to get one don't skimp on one the cheaper ones.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree.

5. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Well I have a list but most I just do over time as it comes to me. I'm wanting light timers on ALL of my tanks, auto feeders on most, I need a powerhead for one of my salt tanks. I'm wanting more airpumps, more terra cotta pots. The list goes on and on. I just want to ensure my fish in my 125 get fed enough just because I have a couple big fish and a few that are pretty small. Don't want anyone getting eaten. :;bbq

I never thought about the moisture I wonder if all of them clog like that?

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I LOVE the remote controled surge protector I got - Ive got all the tanks lights opposite the bed on a remote, so I can turn them off in bed. I want to put them ALL on remotes now....

The fish are adjusting to it :)

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

hummmm, I would love that but I'm more worried about the fact that I travel a lot which is kind of why I think I just need timers.

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, that's certainly only a benefit when you are home.

9. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

11. cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I used an eheim auto feeder for tiny pellets. It was awesome and a highly recommend using it for daily feelings. If I remember correctly you can feed up to four times daily.

Each feeding will dispense food once as the storage container slowly spins around. If you want, there is also an option to make the container rotate TWICE at each feeding. The second time it rotates will happen a minute after the first rotation. That gives you the option for up to eight feelings daily.

I had a blood parrot, jack Dempsey and an Oscar. The pellets were dispensed at 7pm daily. At around 6:30 pm all of the fish would congregate and hang out where the food dropped in the tank. They wouldn't swim around the tank at all, they would just stay in that area. It was awesome!

I never used it for flakes but I could see how it might clog up. If I were to do flakes then I might break them up a bit into smaller pieces to make dispensing easier.

12. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I've had one bad experience with an auto feeder, so i will never use one again.

Instead of it clogging like most experiences, mine dumped the entire load into the aquarium in one go. Luckily i was there to remove as much as i could, but the function of an auto-feeder is for the times you arent there, hence why i was very irritated.

13. cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

But what feeder were you using? Its not fair to pass judgement on one experience alone.

I actually knocked my eheim feeder into my tank one time. Motor, good contained and all. The entire unit sunk to the bottom.

I got the thing out in a few seconds and removed the food container and dumped all the remaining food in the garbage. I removed the battery compartment and batteries and dried off the outside. I let it sit for a few days, put the batteries back in and it was like nothing ever happened.

14. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

15. cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

16. James95 Well Known Member Member

I have an eheim auto feeder that I used when I went on vacation about 2 years ago. And there it sits, to this day, in the box. Now we have a live in dog-sitter that feeds them while we're away. And when I'm home, I rather feed them myself.

17. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I hate flakes so I rarely feed flake food as it is. I would put pellets in it if I were to get it. How much food did it hold?

18. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

My only experince is with a Pond auto feeder that you suspend above ponds to feed koi and goldies and such, we use it with tilapia tanks. It releases food for a set amount of time, through a selected size slot at a selected time up to twice a day.

19. cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I'd say the container was about the size of a yogurt cup.

20. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

You are hilarious. Just had to point that out! :;laughing