Australoheros Oblongum

1. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I heard this fish mentioned in another thread, but I didn't want to hijack.

When I google them, I cannot come up with any information.

Does anyone have a profile on these fish?

2. Toddnbecka Member Member

You won't find much info on them, they're very rarely imported. TFH magazine did publish an article about the Austroloheros family last summer, but didn't have any pics of the oblongum.
    Males grow to 5" max, females 3". They're almost unbelievably mellow for cichlids (aside from conspecifics) and will mix well with anything too large to eat that won't beat the snot out of them IME. They don't require a heater, coming from a cooler part of SA with winter water temps in the 60's, same as some of the Geophagus from the same region. In the wild they live side-by-side with a species of Geo, but I don't remember which one offhand. They're substrate spawners, but after the eggs hatch the female will move the clump of adhesive wigglers onto live plants in the tank (if available.) The person I got my group from had java moss. My tanks are loaded wth Najas, and that worked quite well too. They are very strong pair-bonding fish, but the fry will disappear several days after they're free-swimming if left with the parents. Apparently they eat them when they start preparing to spawn again.

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Is 70 degrees close enough? It was your post that started this:) I've been avoiding geos because of the whole "wintering" thing.

Is there any possible way you could take a picture of yours and post it, please? It may end up being a fish that I have to get later on, but I'd love to see if it's going to end up on my "fishy wish list".

4. Toddnbecka Member Member

I don't know whether the lower winter temps are necessary, just that they don't hurt anything. I started w/7 juvies growing out in the 30L with groups of BN and L-333's. The cichlids matured first, and I had to move 3 to other tanks. The dominant pair kept the other pair banished to the far end of the tank, barely letting them stick their noses out for food, but no real harm done. They spawned 5 times before I moved them to another tank to allow the fry (cichlid and BN) to grow out. They have spawned twice since then, but I haven't bothered saving any more fry since I still have several dozen 1.5-2" juvies to move along. None of my tanks are as low as 70, and I did have a pair of the larger juvies (sold off a while back) spawn in the growout tank.

Big Daddy:
    344.jpg

Showing off the blue highlights better:
    343.jpg

Little Momma:
    257.jpg

Both together:
    256.jpg

Wigglers in the Najas:
    138.jpg

The Swarm:
    139.jpg

Juvies:
    140.jpg

5. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

those are some beautiful fish Toddnbecka! I think BB is gonna send you a pm soon :)

6. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you! Yep, on my list! Gorgeous fish, by the way. What are their tank size requirements? I'm assuming as NW cichlids, it's the normal omnivore diet? Is live food good for them, bad for them, does it matter? PH the normal 6-8? Lots of plants and hiding places good as a tank set up? What are their compatible tank mates? JD's, cons, other NW cichlids? I'll send you a pm regarding pricing once I know if I can house them properly (Tony, you know me well).

7. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Oh wow nice fish!

Filthy enablers you all are :( I am already trying to find space for 2 more tanks lol.

8. DRock914 Member Member

What is the generic name for this fish because I have seen it at my LFS and forgot what they called it. I think it was a brown or red ______.

9. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I like those fish, they are pretty, but most importantly, my mom likes more :) I feel a tank in my future... Eventually

10. btate617 Well Known Member Member

11. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I was hoping you'd see this thread, Brian. So we're looking at a 55g for two, maybe as the only tankmembers?

Yep, PM is on it's way. Thanks everyone!

12. kacie Member Member

Hi BB, I just got a trio of 1/2 inch Oblongum from a hobbiest in Va also. He has them with Keyhole cichlids so they must be peaceful. Mine are active and eat everything. I put them in a 55g with 4 gymnos, tetras and bn pleco. Dedicate an unheated 55g to them and get some Balzani too.
    Kacie

13. btate617 Well Known Member Member

I thought you had some too but couldn't remember for sure....

A 55gal will work BB for sure, like Kacie and others said, with this species of Australoheros, you could do some tank mates just pick a mellow species.

Oh Balzanii should be in everyones tanks......

Brian

14. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

You guys are killing me:;scuba Always providing me with new species that whenever I look them up, I HAVE to have them. Brian, you're still grounded for the black nasty's that I don't have a big enough tank for::anim_35::nono:

Anyone care to make a wager that I'll be after Balzanii after I look them up? Mercy, I'm going to need some contacts for some breeders if you guys keep this up:;toast

But please, keep the suggestions coming. I still have empty tanks:D

15. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Just to help make ur decision I will post a few pics of mine here in a minute.....

16. DRock914 Member Member

17. kacie Member Member

She can get some from toddnbecka right? They have some up on aquabid also.

18. pepetj Well Known Member Member

19. kacie Member Member

Montess is who I got mine from. Check out his posts on his Oblongums too.

20. Toddnbecka Member Member

I have several dozen juvies between 1.5-2" available. They won't be relisted on aquabid for a couple more months after the current auction ends. By that time they'll be pairing off, and likely sell better. If anyone is interested in getting some after the holidays are over (really bad time for shipping USPS now) shoot me a PM.