Australian Stores

rwood
Just wondering if anyone here from sunny aus knew of some good online aquarium stores that deliver in the Brisbane area. Also if anyone knows any good aquarium stores in the Brisbane/Ipswich area in general that'd be great - just shopping around!

Peterpiper
HI from Perth WA Have had a look around on the net, have some links for you to look at.

I have not used any of the suppliers,

rwood
I actually bought my latest tank from aquariumsrus.com.au; they do excellent prices on tanks however their equipment prices are incredibly expensive for anything else. Thanks for the links though

alan l
what sort of things are you looking for I sell a few fish and a few other things I'm at springfield lakes and have a few few friends with shops that are very good in and around the ips area

rwood
I'm tossing around the idea of going a cichlid tank so I might be looking to buy a few different cichlids. Other then that though just general aquarium stuff

alan l
I have elec yellows convicts and flame backs ready to go also gators aqu jones rd redbank plains if you want tanks or bulk food heaters I can get them for you a lot cheaper

rwood
What would you be asking for the cichlids?

alan l
depends how many you want I'm selling convicts at $1 each if you buy 20 80cents if you buy 50 flame backs $4 ea min of 5 same for yellows I also have a breeding pair of convicts with fry its there forth lot I want $25 for them

rwood
Alright, well I might take some of those off your hands in the near future I haven't gotten my new tank yet - been a bit of a delay as I'm building my own stand with the help of a friend who is a cabinet maker; he's been sick lately though so I haven't gotten around to making it yet. So once that is all done I'll buy my tank, cycle it and *then* I'll contact you about the cichlids. Does that sound alright to you? Do you have an email address I could use to contact you?

rwood
Also - from your experiences what fish have you found OK to keep with cichlids?

alan l
amandahugnkiss2@bigpond .com the convicts are american yellows flame backs are african I keep convicts on there own the others are fine together I hve blue dolphins frontosas silver dollars bristlenose in the same tank they all get on ok in the past I have had convicts in with geos and black belts got be carful if convicts breed as they will kill anything that get near there fry even fish 4 times there si*ze dollars and silver sharks seem to be fine with ciclids just make sure you have at least 3 as they school and plenty of free swiming space b\nose are fine with any I have a tank with 2convicts and about 200 free swiming fry and 2 b/nose and no problem either way

rwood
Thanks for the info - I'll email you when I have my new tank ready for fish. One other question though - the gravel I am looking at getting is more rocky rather then sandy; I know cichlids do like to burrow at the gravel/sand. Will they be likely to hurt themselves or should I make sure I get a sandier gravel?

alan l
africans crushed coral keeps up the high ph I have a 6ft tank and I have shells sand crushed coral in sections to suit the dif fish be carful to check your fishes feeding habits and select sub to suit most ciclids like plenty of hiding places I tried plants a dead loss

rwood
I think I might give the gravel I currently have a try first (the bigger stuff) if it looks like they are hurting themselves I'll just have to take it out.

As for plants - I was planning on trying a few sword leaves and that sort of thing; also I was hoping to try a java moss backing on the tank - I'm pretty sure java moss has a really bad taste to fish (vaguely remember reading that somewhere) so I'm hoping that will discourage the cichlids from eating it.

To keep the ph higher I was thinking of some sea shells? That should work won't it?

alan l
ciclids don't eat plants they just rip em up and tear them apart don't know about the shells there is a sub for crushed coarl like a coarse sand no sharp bits works good

Top Bottom