Australian Rainbowfish Spawning Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armypro

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, last Thursday I bought 2 Female Australian Rainbowfish for my Male Australian Rainbow in my 65 Gallon Aquarium because I noticed he was nipping at his tankmates fins and I figured that it was most likely stress related. It was. But now I have a new road I have to go down. This Morning a bit after I turned the light on I noticed my Male was acting weird, turns out he has the black markings on the tips of his fins and was flashing his fins to entice one of the Females to mate with him. Knowing that they eat their own eggs I don't really know what to do and would love some advice from you guys who breed Rainbows. I'd love the eggs to survive and raise them from fry. I was thinking of grabbing some Java Moss for them but I'd have to look around the pets stores in my area.
What Temp do you keep young Rainbowfish at?
Would a Breeder net work until I can get a proper Aquarium for them?
What would I feed them?
Will the fry try to spawn with their mother when they reach sexual maturity (I'm thinking of filling in their school with the fry)? And will that matter...

I will have a spare 20 Gallon tall Aquarium when I upgrade it to a 55 sometime, will that be suitable for them. I may try to give the extra fry to Petsmart for credit (I shop there for my other animals regularly, if they even accept fry for in-store credit) when I'm able to tell their gender.

Another issue is I'm not going to be here for the weekend (22-24) so I'll have to check on them when I get back.

RobM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Google "spawning mop" and then make one. Easy peasy

"What Temp do you keep young Rainbowfish at?"
80*

"Would a Breeder Net work until I can get a proper Aquarium for them?"
A small lunchmeat container will work for the first few weeks

"What would I feed them?"
Sera Micron until they are big enough for baby brine shrimp.

"Will the fry try to spawn with their mother when they reach sexual maturity (I'm thinking of filling in their school with the fry)? "
Yes.

"And will that matter..."
Not really.

"I will have a spare 20 Gallon tall Aquarium when I upgrade it to a 55 sometime, will that be suitable for them. I may try to give the extra fry to Petsmart for credit (I shop there for my other animals regularly, if they even accept fry for in-store credit) when I'm able to tell their gender."
A 20g will be great for a growout tank.

"Another issue is I'm not going to be here for the weekend (22-24) so I'll have to check on them when I get back."
Not a problem, they will keep on breeding

Sarcasm Included

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your going to need to feed the fry at least twice a day for the first couple months. You will need a grow out tank because they won't be able to be kept with the adults till they are about 1in. I use deli cups to keep my eggs till they hatch. I use tap water replacing daily till you see the eggs eye up, to keep fungus down. Getting rid of infertile eggs is key to stopping fungus. I use centrifugal force to seperate infertile eggs from the good ones. Good eggs are heavier and sink faster than infertile, so I spin the water a bit and tilt tue container pouring out water fast enough to get the lighter eggs but allowing the good ones to settle at the bottom of the cup.
Food wise I use Sera micron till the get about 1/4 in and then feed them golden pearls 300-500 micron.
After they hatch I keep them in a breeder box for 2 weeks in a 20 gallon grow out tank. When they get close to 1 inch I move them to a 55 gallon growout, that has other small fish. As they grow I move them up different fish sized tanks till I sell them or they go in the adult tanks.

Don't expect you to switch tanks as much as I do but I have more fish thanyou

OP
Armypro

Armypro

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Still no eggs yet but I'm still trying. Two days ago I "Prolonged" their morning by simply not turning on the light till about 3:30 and I turn the light on at about 8:00. There was a lot of cloud cover that day and it was nice and dark (About the same amount of light as it is when it gets in the morning). Was able to trick him to continue trying to spawn way past morning but no luck there. Checked him several times and he was flashing his fins to try and get the Females attention. I will be getting some more Rainbows and other fish when I'm able to have my 20 Gallon be my Quarantine Tank.

For the growout tanks I'll only have 2 Aquariums going and I don't plan to keep the fry for very long. Have them growout in the 20 Gallon till I can tell their gender and then give them to someone else who has a home for them. If I am going to put them in one of my Aquariums I'll just put them in my 55 Gallon Aquarium (The one I'm upgrading to) till they're old enough to go in my 65 Gallon Aquarium. I'm hoping Petsmart or Petco will take them for in-store credit. Don't want to ship them.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 14 17.9%

Top Bottom