Austrailian Rainbowfish

smalli

I have 2 rainbow fish and i read that if they aren't in a school they are prone to diseases is this true? also I've called 10 different PetSmart's and lfs's and they don't have it. Is this normal?

JettsPapa

• Yes, shoaling fish that aren't kept in large enough groups will be more stressed, which can make them more susceptible to disease or parasites.
  • I can't speak to whether or not it's normal for stores to not carry them. I do know that I've never seen rainbowfish at either of the local Pet Smarts, but the Pet Supplies Plus and Petco near me do have them (or did have them before Covid; I haven't been to one of them in the last year). I believe many places are having problems getting some fish with the current world situation.

RonP

I have 9 Spotted Blue Eyes in a 15g tank. They do hang together. They need to have sufficient numbers to feel comfortable.
How big is your tank?
I have found several shippers who have them in North America.

smalli

RonP said:
I have 9 Spotted Blue Eyes in a 15g tank. They do hang together. They need to have sufficient numbers to feel comfortable.
How big is your tank?
I have found several shippers who have them in North America.
36 gallons

RonP

Not gonna keep 9 in a 15g.
I have a 39g biocube waiting. Sorry, did not anticipate criticism..These are .5 inch rn.
I am in Canada.could not get Shellies (Caudopunks)here. Rainbows are an experiment.
I think more Spotted Blue Eyes make sense for you. I will update you with progress. Could you do same for me?

RonP

Update...all 9 have survived and have colored up nicely. Still very small but eating well. They are very active. Biggest challenge has been appropriate food at a size they can eat.
All good news so far.

GlennO

RonP said:
Not gonna keep 9 in a 15g.
I have a 39g biocube waiting. Sorry, did not anticipate criticism..These are .5 inch rn.
I am in Canada.could not get Shellies (Caudopunks)here. Rainbows are an experiment.
I think more Spotted Blue Eyes make sense for you. I will update you with progress. Could you do same for me?
I don't see any criticism? 15 gal is ok for Spotted Blue Eyes, though of course bigger is always better. But according to the thread title the OP has Australians, (not Blue Eyes) which are a much bigger species.

Regarding food size, my Spotted's get micro pellets as a staple, with occasional chopped up frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and mosquito larvae.

RonP

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom