Aurulius Barbs in 29G Tank?

1. Hilde Initiate Member

Can Aurulius Barbs live in a 29G Tank for a few years?

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! If you are referring to Puntius arulius and you plan your stocking accordingly, I see no issue keeping them in a 29g tank for their entire life span.

3. Hilde Initiate Member

In fact I won 8 Puntius arulius barbs at an auction. They are white with black stripes, thus probably all females. I decided to get them for they seemed playful and their colors blend with my Serpae Tetra, which are 9.

Read that they get up to 5in. Have found that majority of info given on fish is usually pertaining to the fish in the wild. Do they actually get 5in a tank? About how long does it take for them to reach the length?

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't keep 8 barbs and 9 tetra in a 29g tank, but that's just my personal opinion. It could be possible if you upgraded the tank to a 55g, though. Serpae tetra in my experience are hardy and nippy so they would be a good match for the arulius.

Different species take different amounts of time to reach full size. I would guess barbs would reach full size in a year or two, but I don't know for sure. I have never bred and raised them, which would be the only way I could fairly answer that question.

If fish are kept in a proper sized tank with good parameters, they can reach and sometimes surpass the information given online. It all depends on bloodlines, health, and environment.