Auratus Male?

Friends.NotFood.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 3 auratus cichlids in my tank. The largest was bright yellow when I got him/her but I’ve noticed lately that his/her color looks to be darkening up a lot. I know auratus females and juveniles are yellow. Also my other two are about 1.5 inches (yellow) and the other is about 2 inches but he/she is a bluish color Not yellow at all. Please someone help me out and let me know what I’ve got here. I can post pics too if you need to see them

947E43D1-8C5E-4DAE-A711-873D71F48D2E.jpeg
Friends.NotFood. said:
I have 3 auratus cichlids in my tank. The largest was bright yellow when I got him/her but I’ve noticed lately that his/her color looks to be darkening up a lot. I know auratus females and juveniles are yellow. Also my other two are about 1.5 inches (yellow) and the other is about 2 inches but he/she is a bluish color Not yellow at all. Please someone help me out and let me know what I’ve got here. I can post pics too if you need to see them

Friends.NotFood.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NavyChief20 said:
Yeah thats a male
Ok. I wasn’t sure but makes sense. I was thinking maybe something was wrong. You think that bluish one is male too?

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Itshard to tell on the blueish tint. give it some time maybe you will get a definitive color shift.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The dark Auratus appears to be a dominant female, they often turn dark in the absence of a male. However, it could yet be a turning male; only time will tell. The little one is immature, sex has not yet been decided upon. the blue one is a hybrid Johannii type.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom