August 7, 2015 265g Video

Discussion in 'aquarist' started by Aquarist, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Thought some of you might like to see an updated video.

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy it! All comments, questions welcomed.

Ken

[video=youtube;Ebz9YqSaw2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebz9YqSaw2k[/video]

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

So cool!!!! :D I love the Blood Parrots! And the little moss ball garden in the back! How big are the angelfish right now?

3. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Your tank is lovely, those dollars are the calmest I've seen they must be very happy :)

4. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

It's been a while. Thanks for posting the video.
    Your tank is so calming. I officially hate mine (not really ;))

Funny how small your cories look compared to your other fish.
    Maybe you could snap a picture with a measuring tape to give others an idea of how large Parrots, Silver Dollars and plecos can get.

5. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Love the moss balls. I guess that's one way to keep plants with silver dollars. Smart thinking! You also have a planted sump don't you?

With the larger rocks you have for substrate, do you find it traps a lot of waste?

6. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Well, i hate mine now. I've always loved all your videos.

I can't believe how big your Angels have gotten, I still remember them when you first got them.

7. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Beautiful tank and fish!
    The angels are amazing..... as are the parrots.

8. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Your tank is still beautiful as ever!

9. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

Good morning,

Thank you for the kind comments! I appreciate it greatly. :)

The two largest Angels (males), the marble and the striped are 8" to 10" from fin tip to fin tip, larger than my hand. I raised them from the size of a nickel or so, they were very tiny. The golden female is much smaller but she can hold her own. She has a little fin damage currently but she will be fine. It has happened before. All about 4 or 5 years old now.

The Sail Fin Pleco is 12" 15 years old and the largest Bloody Parrot is 10" also elderly.

Five of the eight Silver Dollars are 15 years old. The remaining three are about 6 years old. These guys are no longer shy and even nibble on my hands from time to time.

As for the river rock substrate, It does hide the detritus. I vacuum the aquarium completely once per month.

The Wet/Dry filtration I also turned into a refugium along with 2 HOB refugiums:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarist/124134-refugium-freshwater-update12-23-12-a.html

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarist/137148-265g-filter-upgraded-2-6-13-a-4.html
    (reference post #64 and higher. I still have all of these Anubias going on about 15 months.)

The Marimo Balls are the only plant that I have been able to keep, for any length of time, with the Silver Dollars. The Cory Cats love the Marimo's.

Total of 26 fish in this aquarium.

Thanks again everyone!

Ken fish1.gif

10. Gamer

GamerWell Known MemberMember

First of all, wow. Dreamy setup there! I'm in pure awe of this video.

The angels seem to be keeping up with the parrots and everyone else in size. Are either of them a pair? Sorry if I missed this.

11. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

Thank you very much! I appreciate the compliment!

I raised the Angels in a 33g long for a couple of years until they were big enough to go into the 265g with the Bloody Parrots. They all get along very well and is rare I see any aggression between the Angels and the Bloody Parrots. The Angel Fish are large enough to hold their own.

The Golden female spawned with both males while in the 33g long but all of the eggs were eaten. Since they have been living in the 265g, I haven't seen the first sign of any eggs and it's going on about 3 years now. This is fine with me as I am not set up to keep fry.

Thanks again!

Ken

12. Gamer

GamerWell Known MemberMember

Wow, that's excellent. I've wondered this few times but can I ask where you got your gravel, is it a mix of pea gravel and large river rock? I love it.

13. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

I also love that snail ornament. How cute., The fish are gorgeous. Alison

14. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

I purchased all of the river rock at WalMart in the garden section many years ago. I have used this rock for 15 years. The rock was in small canisters and cost me a fortune! lol I also used the same river rock on my fireplace when I gave it a face lift:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/general-discussion/42061-recycled-gravel-rock.html
    You can click on the photo to enlarge it several times.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/moderators/159356-my-christmas-trees-2013-a.html
    Scroll to post #10

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Ken

15. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Oh btw, do your fish bite you and does it hurt if they do?

16. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

The Bloody Parrots will nibble on my hands and it does not hurt a bit. :) The Silver Dollars have nibbled on my hand a few times over the years (not often) and it did not hurt either.

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice