Important ATTN: MODS Can We Have A Section For Land Hermit Crabs?

lorianne621

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello Mods,

I respectfully request a section for Land Hermit Crabs. I looked under "Other Pets" but even there, there isn't a section for them as they fall under crustacean and no such section exits. If a search is done on Hermit crab the result brings up many, many SW hermits.

I have noticed that many fish people also keep Land Hermit Crabs. These are very interesting creatures and their care is very complicated, though not hard. There is so much to know and learn... for example... did you know you can breed them in captivity but they are strictly salt water creatures for the first couple months of life!

As a creature that breathes with modified gills and live in fish tanks I submit that they are deserving of a section on Fishlore. Please consider my request. Here are a few interesting facts.

Though most people give them shallow bowls with sponges to avoid drowning They love to swim! And... they need both fresh and salt water pools in their habitat at all times. They will create a mixture of these two to make their own individual mix of brackish water in their shells and each crab has it's own preferred mixture! Just be sure to supply a ramp with good grips so they can climb out!

This information you won't find out at your petstore. We only learn these things by talking to each other. Please, please. Give the Land Hermit Crabs their own section on Fishlore.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi lorianne

I have moved this thread to the suggestions section of the forum.

Something like this would be Mike's call.
Let's wait and see what he has to say.

lorianne621

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you,

I looked for a better place to put it. I didn't see the suggestion section. Thank you for your help.

So... does anyone else out there want to jump in and help me plead the case for land hermit crabs? It would really be nice to have a section for them. Wouldn't it?

Or am I the only one who thinks so?

kevymd

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I second the motion. I don't have hermit crabs, but I think it would be good to have a section of the forum for them. We should be a well rounded as we can be, in regards to water-based/water friendly tank animal knowledge. While Hermits are not "fish", neither are frogs, snails, or some of the other tank critters we help each other out with. I think it would be a nice addition to have someplace to discuss Hermits, and it might stimulate interest in the members to become more active with this animal.

zachmanton

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree. I am currently working on a hermit crab tank and with as much knowledge as I recieved on this site concerning my fish, I cannot imagine what we could discover concerning hermit crabs.

kevymd

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You're the bestest, mike! No, how to fit a hermit crab in.... No, no I really shouldn't.

lorianne621

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yay! Thank you, thank you! I would have thanked you sooner but I have been working long hours.

Thank you again... and again... ****

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom