Attended my first fish swap...WOW!!!

Leeman75

I attended the Greater Chicago Cichlid Association Fish Swap today....what an amazing experience!! I've been planning on attending for months and have been saving projects and wish lists for this event! It was such a great time with 90 vendor tables there. Here's some highlights:

1. Lots and lots of fish, products, and fellow hobbyists! It took us 2.5 hours to go through all tables (and revisit many) and also burn through the budget.
2. I got to meet Jason and Joanna from PrimeTime Aquatics...probably my favorite YouTubers. They were so nice and pleasant to talk to! Just like they seem on the videos! I almost purchased one of their t-shirts, but the money was earmarked for fish items, so had to pass.
3. I got several plants there for great prices. A couple of 12-14" Swords, a bag of Java Fern for $7 that I thought was one plant, but it turned out to be like 8! I got so many plants and have them all in the tanks already. Great deals!!
4. The fish! I was able to get almost all that I had on my wish list, as well as made a couple of impulse buys/plan switches. Here's what I came away with:

A trio (M, 2 F) Gardneri Killifish. They will become the new inhabitants in my former Red Cherry Shrimp tank. I've always wanted to keep these as the colors on the males are so amazing. I was so excited to see them here and get a great deal on them!

A pair of Apistogramma Borelli. I was seriously considering these when I built my 20 gallon hex tank. Went with the Orange Flash and am glad I made that decision and was so excited to see a pair for so cheap!

2 Guppies. My 8 year old was looking for a blue fish for her tank and has really liked the guppies. It was easy to find nice ones and not break the bank like I would at a pet store.

5 Khuli Loaches. I have been wanting these for my 29 gallon. Scored 5 for $12. Can beat that!!

6 Scarlet Badis. My boys have been wanting these for probably a year for their tanks. They were super excited to get them for only $20!!

2 Bristlenose Plecos. I saw 2 that were just so amazing. They are large enough that I can put them in the tanks with bigger fish. I got a Gold Spot BN and a Lemon Blue Eyed BN. They are hiding, so I haven't seem them much, but so excited to have them!!

All in all, a fantastic experience, even though I embarrassed myself being a little star struck with Jason and Joanna. They'll have another one in November. If anyone is at all close to Northern IL, I highly recommend making the drive!!

BigManAquatics

Lol yeaj, i knew he was supposed to be there, thanks to youtube! They do seem like a couple people that would be quite pleasant to deal with in person. I like that he does take the time to answer some of my questions and suggestions on youtube comments. So, bring home any new fish?

Glad you had a great time! Eventually i will get to one of these events or something similar!

StarGirl

6 Scarlet Badis. My boys have been wanting these for probably a year for their tanks. They were super excited to get them for only $20!!
Man I must have been super lucky! I got a male and female for 7-8 bucks at my lfs. Another Fishlorian said females are scarce. :)

Leeman75

Man I must have been super lucky! I got a male and female for 7-8 bucks at my lfs. Another Fishlorian said females are scarce. :)

They are so pretty...not sure how to sex them, so I'm not sure what we got. They are about $6.99 at a LFS, so to get 6 for $20, they were stoked!!

StarGirl

They are so pretty...not sure how to sex them, so I'm not sure what we got. They are about $6.99 at a LFS, so to get 6 for $20, they were stoked!!
Haha didnt see it was 6...lol That is a good deal. The female is smaller and has very little color and stripes. The male has the pretty red stripes and blue tipped fins.

Leeman75

Here's a couple of
20210926_162548.jpg
20210926_145633.jpgpictures...

jmaldo

Swap meets are "Great" I attend as a seller and buyer, the people are fantastic and the prices are "Unreal" .
Here's a tip I have found, Shh! it's a secret. Most times the prices drop dramatically low towards the end of the meet. Why? Some keepers including myself do not want to take the fish and stuff back home. I have even given them away for free.

But you did not here it from me...

smile.jpg

Natalie666

Woah! I’ve never seen a gold spotted BN before, mind showing a photo of that when you spot it?

Leeman75

I'll try to get a pic of him. He's been much more shy than the Lemon. Here he is...

20210926_181046.jpg
Here's some more pics...

One of the Scarlet Badis:

20210926_182941.jpg
One of the Khuli Loaches:

20210926_183149.jpg
Another of one of the Apistos (the other one is hiding behind a plant a lot:

20210926_183130.jpg
A couple of semi-blurry pics of the Gold Spot BN Pleco:

20210926_194640.jpg
20210926_194642.jpg
An a pic with some of the plants that I got. See the before and after pic:

20210901_192454.jpg
20210926_150019.jpg

DuaneV

Sounds awesome. We have nothing like that up here. One of the disadvantages of living in Maine.

ruud

Haha didnt see it was 6...lol That is a good deal. The female is smaller and has very little color and stripes. The male has the pretty red stripes and blue tipped fins.
And subordinate males have very little color and keep their fins close to the body...just like females :)

Best way to sex Dario is in isolation.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mimo91088
Replies
Views
awilkinson871
  • Question
Replies
Views