Attempting to plant Crypts and Hair grass

Nikao

Well Known
Is it ok to have a little bit of the roots showing if I plant some Crypts? It is hard to get them all the way below the substrate. I could try harder :-/

I got some hair grass. When I pulled it apart from that nasty green stuff in the pot, it didn’t seem like the root system was preserved well enough. Is this ok? Will it grow still??

Thanks.

Nick

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Pics? I usually trI'm my potted plant roots prior to planting. Hairgrass generally doesn't have a huge root system out of the pot.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Crypts should be fine.

The hairgrass needs to be pulled apart into smaller plugs and planted 2-4 cm apart from one another. Also, you probably won't get good carpeting in such a coarse substrate.

OP
Nikao

Nikao

Well Known
I separated the hair grass. Does that look better?
Thank you for the advice!

Attachments

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Better, but if you could make the plugs about 1 x 1cm sized it would do even better. It should do better overall once separated, but you can expect a long acclimation period regardless. Potted DHG is almost always grown above water and needs a lengthy acclimation period.

OP
Nikao

Nikao

Well Known
I’m excited about this!!
I have a lot of patience with this tank! It contains my lovable Gold Laser Cories! They are going to be so happy!!

Attachments

New Threads