Attempting my second spawn

damprye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Now that I have the resources available I am attempting my second spawning. My couple have been conditioned and my male was placed in a cycled tank with a spong filter (on low) and a heater (81*F) and then added my female in a breeding net for half hour periods so that when she started to release her hormones he would pick up on this alot better than in a glass container. He made a nest up against the net and she has strong verticle bars. I have not long put them in together and he has been going up to her and dancing before swimming away or in some cases chasing her. Neither are showing any signs of stress and miracously there is no nipping yet. The tank is a 20g filled half way as last time but this time it is also full of Java Moss. So far so good, she has retaliated by running away, mostly into the moss and has not destroyed his nest so fingers crossed that within the next three days there will be good news to spread

damprye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oooh there has been action during the night ^.^ I see eggs

damprye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks I have taken a seat now cos I just seen them still DTD lol. They are so beautiful ^.^

It is so funny to watch, he has collected all the eggs into a tiny part of the MASSIVE nest and is doing very tight circles around it then she will come up, he will flare and chase before realising that she wants to keep mating so he will go down and do a lil dance for her then she will follow him back up and after they DTD and he fetches the eggs he pushes her paralysed body away from the eggs lol

I don't know when they started mating (there were eggs when I got up) but it definately looks like it is over. All he has to do is see her and he is agressivly going after her :-/ they are called fighting fish for a reason lol . Time to fish her out ;0)
I feel very privilaged to get to see them doing such a beautiful dance

She is a very difficult one to get out but after alot of hassle and minus a few eggs she is out and although the parents wouldn't stay still for a pic I did get (IMO) a good shot of the nest thanks to a friend lending me their camera

Attachments

Last edited:

damprye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
:'( I could cry right now, the nest is completely distroyed and my boy has a big fat belly. I can only imagine exactly where the eggs went :'(

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feel your pain. I have had that happen too. Is this his first time? Condition them both good and try again in a few weeks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom