Attempt At Making A Tank Stand

Shrimp&CPDs
Hi, after being dissapointed by the selection of 29 gallon tank stands I decided to try my hand at making my own stand. So I found several builds for different sizes of tanks and meshed them together to fit my needs. I have 2 questions : is it necessary to waterproof the wood (it's just regular 2X3s and plywood) and secondly since the top of the stand weighs the same as the bottom should I add weight (in the form of cinder blocks or other things) to make the bottom heavier so the tank on top will be more stable? I'll put up a couple pictures, sorry I didn't get more of the building process.
IMAG0016.jpg
IMAG0013_1.jpg
IMAG0017.jpg

Letsfish
It looks good,a little overkill but that`s OK.I have built stands very similar in design and they work.Make sure it is square and level all the way around. Most likely your floor won`t be exactly level so shI'm it at the bottom.

PonzLL
Definitely overkill but that's certainly not a bad thing. No need to waterproof imo,

If you want weight at the bottom, why not add some lower shelves to store aquarium things? Plus then you could stick a 10 gallon tank at the bottom!! I made a somewhat similar stand and actually screwed it directly to the wall studs to give me peace of mind, so no worries about it falling over on me.

Shrimp&CPDs
It looks good,a little overkill but that`s OK.I have built stands very similar in design and they work.Make sure it is square and level all the way around. Most likely your floor won`t be exactly level so shI'm it at the bottom.
Thanks, I figured but I like to be sure lol. I checked it and it's almost perfectly level

Shrimp&CPDs
Definitely overkill but that's certainly not a bad thing. No need to waterproof imo,

If you want weight at the bottom, why not add some lower shelves to store aquarium things? Plus then you could stick a 10 gallon tank at the bottom!! I made a somewhat similar stand and actually screwed it directly to the wall studs to give me peace of mind, so no worries about it falling over on me.
I was thinking about the tank idea, I plan to get a more aquascapable (doubt that's a real word..)tank in a year or so and this one should fit right under there as a grow out/fry tank

Fanatic
I always recommended waterproofing stands, mainly because I heard of people getting their's wet and it warping.

Shrimp&CPDs
I always recommended waterproofing stands, mainly because I heard of people getting their's wet and it warping.
Would waterproof the entire stand or just the exposed areas?

Fanatic
Would waterproof the entire stand or just the exposed areas?

I would waterproof wherever you think splashes are most likely to occur.

Shrimp&CPDs
OK, thank you

PonzLL
I can't argue with that. Personally I didn't waterproof mine, but there's no downside to it, and if you ever have an accident, you're covered.

THRESHER
Wow, awesome DIY stand! I built one for my 75gal following this guide . I didn't waterproof/stain mine. Didn't put a skin on it either. A black curtain wrapped around it and voila.

I was thinking of skinning and adding doors, but because my SunSun 304B canister filter is bigger than a 5gal bucket, I would never get it out to service it. Too big and too heavy. I just move the curtain aside, pin it up and I have all the room to just slide it out easy peasy.

Shrimp&CPDs
Wow, awesome DIY stand! I built one for my 75gal following this guide . I didn't waterproof/stain mine. Didn't put a skin on it either. A black curtain wrapped around it and voila.

I was thinking of skinning and adding doors, but because my SunSun 304B canister filter is bigger than a 5gal bucket, I would never get it out to service it. Too big and too heavy. I just move the curtain aside, pin it up and I have all the room to just slide it out easy peasy.
Thanks , whatever works for your needs is best

mossman
You could get a piece of laminated counter top and glue it to the top. No need to waterproof.

bitseriously
Staining is a good option, IMO. You can get water repellent stains, I think they are generally referred to as marine oil stain. Looks great, keeps water out.
My build was totally different, but you can see how the stain really upped the quality of the final result. In my most humble opinion.
I used a couple coats of a walnut colored stain, and marine oil to finish it. You can see some pics of the wood before and after staining here: Bitseriously's Upgrade Build, With Pics
Are you going to put a deck on top?

Letsfish

IMG_0100.jpg I stain and polyurethane all of my stands.In fact I also use boot tray in front of my tanks to prevent getting the carpet wet when doing maintenance.This stand supports a 29 gallon and a 10 gallon QT underneath.
IMG_0100.jpg

Shrimp&CPDs
View attachment 472554 I stain and polyurethane all of my stands.In fact I also use boot tray in front of my tanks to prevent getting the carpet wet when doing maintenance.This stand supports a 29 gallon and a 10 gallon QT underneath.View attachment 472554
That looks really nice , I was originally just going to paint it but maybe stain would be the better option

Letsfish
Either way is OK just as long you are able to wipe it off and keep it clean.I don`t have a clue why that showed up twice.

max h
I know it's a smaller tank, I would probably throw a piece of 1/4 ply on the top that way the whole bottom rI'm of the tank is supported.

Shrimp&CPDs
I know it's a smaller tank, I would probably throw a piece of 1/4 ply on the top that way the whole bottom rI'm of the tank is supported.
I did just haven't posted a pic of that yet lol

max h

IMG_0491.JPG Sorry about that, I just got done converting a 72x18" stand to take tanks ranging from 60 x 18" to 72 x 24".

Shrimp&CPDs
Sorry about that, I just got done converting a 72x18" stand to take tanks ranging from 60 x 18" to 72 x 24".
You're fine I've just been busy and trying to find time to build it was a pain so I'm having to post about it after the fact but before I have pictures

max h
You're fine I've just been busy and trying to find time to build it was a pain so I'm having to post about it after the fact but before I have pictures

I would hate to see anyone damage a tank is all, not matter what size it is.

CanadianFishFan
I would slap some board on the sides maybe a cute door with little handle on the front and stain or paint it black.
Heres my DIY stand that holds two 10 gallons with doors and storage.

QIZS7i9vFwdl87E7nYdYX3YWqOmquPNXD0wNKsvQjKFpBwVdrNoKRTxC33giRjtXCxlC2FwZ2s6SHNvLeiM=w353-h627-no.jpg

Shrimp&CPDs
I would hate to see anyone damage a tank is all, not matter what size it is.
You and me both

Brad Pervell
Nice stand! I didnt like selection of stands either. I like your color choice. My stand is for a 55 gal 48x14. As you see I did place planking on top. I used six legs to support. Not stand was spot on level - sadly floor was not so I used beer coasters as a shI'm and cut around legs. I stained all wood and polyurethaned all outside wood. Good luck.

Attachments

• 20180304_172848.jpg
    20180304_172848.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20180313_220408_Burst01.jpg
    20180313_220408_Burst01.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 45
  • 20180829_191436_HDR.jpg
    20180829_191436_HDR.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 52
Shrimp&CPDs
Nice stand! I didnt like selection of stands either. I like your color choice. My stand is for a 55 gal 48x14. As you see I did place planking on top. I used six legs to support. Not stand was spot on level - sadly floor was not so I used beer coasters as a shI'm and cut around legs. I stained all wood and polyurethaned all outside wood. Good luck.
Looks amazing

max h
Mines a semI store bought, got it used for $25 I originally was for a 72 X 18" tank, my buddy from the Navy has all the cool wood working tools so we made a few adjustments. It will now take a tank from 60 x18" to 72 x 24".

Austin Ron

81B1F6C0-0BC8-46DC-BD5F-D9DCD8733166.jpeg
9E18F780-24EE-4B50-8ED7-AEA27DAD21EA.jpeg
3C97CA24-A42D-4E2D-A773-9FF876880BFE.jpeg I built a couple stands for a 40 gallon breeder aquarium I’m putting together for my young son. I say a couple because the first one I built I got the dimensions for the tank online and after building the stand the tank didn’t fit on it! Ha!

So round two did the trick. They’re building a ton of houses in my area right now so after some dumpster diving I built this one.

Yours is over kill but you could always upgrade the tank later if you wanted. Or, have some glass cut and build the tank to fit the stand.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sheldon13
Replies
Views
Sb092
Replies
Views
Letsfish
Replies
Views