Attacked by a guppy?...

1. Davidish Initiate Member

Hello everyone :]

So lately I have noticed that my halfmoon's caudal fin has been getting torn up. At first I thought he was tail nipping so I was keeping a close eye on him but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Then I was wondering if he was getting caught up in the plants I have in there. I only have a red ludwigia and I think the leaves are far to soft to be causing damage. Or am I wrong on that?
    Tonight, I just noticed damage to his scales and this makes me think that he is being bullied by another fish! The thing is there are only 3 albino cories, 3 ghost shrimps, a blue mystery snail and a single female guppy in there. Now, I know its not a good idea to keep him with the guppy but something happened with my guppy tank and she was forced into there and they have been getting along (so it seemed) for the fast 3 months. Is it possible that the guppy is causing all this damage? I didn't think guppies were fin nippers... and I don't know what to do with the guppy if she is the problem.

And if anyone has any advice on getting my boy Henry's fin back up and beautiful I would really appreciate that.

Thanks!

EDIT: This is a 10g tank.

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Guppies aren't normally fin nippers IME, but I guess anything's possible. Probably better to separate them if you're having doubts.

What kind of filter are you using? Is it possible that your betta might have caught his fin in the intake?

3. Davidish Initiate Member

An AquaClear. I've been keeping an eye out for that too but he usually stays towards the half of the tank away from the filter. The mystery snail got stick in the intake yesterday though... maybe its a sign haha

And I don't know if this matters but it's just his caudal fin. Everything else looks fine.

4. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

poor boy. I would be getting him on his own asap. Have you watched the tank dynamics? Perhaps you will catch the culprit in action. I use Bettafix to get my babies fins in tip top shape but you probably can't get it there. Would worry about scale damage moreso than fin. Hope he's back to 100% handsomeness soon! :;hi2

And welcome to the forum!

5. Diggly Well Known Member Member

there are cases where guppies have fin nipped / bullied other fish if there isnt enough space, what size tank are they in?

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello David and Welcome to Fish Lore
    Betta Fish Care Guide
    Important Betta Topics - Read First!

Above are a few links you may find helpful. I would be inclined to believe that your guppy is causing the problems with your Betta. Too, I would suggest that you place a sponge over your intake tube to your filter to prevent anyone from being stuck to it. You can use any type of filter sponge, slice an X in the sponge and slide it over the tube. This sponge will also add to your good bio media and you can rinse it in siphoned tank water just like you do your filter media.

You can add a drop or two of garlic juice to the Betta food. You can use garlic juice from the grocery store, minced garlic in a jar, or fresh garlic. Too there is a product called Garlic Gard that you can purchase at most local fish stores (LFS). Garlic is an immune system booster and food enhancer for fish as well as humans.

Vita Chem is a good vitamin that may also help him to heal. Both work great and in combination too. Pristine water conditions, add some Stress Coat or Nova Aqua (your chemical of choice) to add some body slime to the fish.

Best of luck!
    Happy Holidays!:;snow
    Ken

7. Davidish Initiate Member

The guppy was given away to a friend and a filter sponge was placed over the filter intake. However, the fins don't seem to be getting any better and I actually think they are getting worse! The edge of the dorsal fin seems a little ragged now. Here are two pictures:

13.jpg
    I have ruled out finrot (or any other disease for that matter) because the fins have been like this for a while but they are not getting any shorter and nor are the other fins effected. Until now where I just noticed the fraying of the dorsal fin recently. Is it possible that he must just be a tail chomper?

14.jpg
    This one brings back the damage to the scales I was talking about previously. It's on his "cheek" if he even has one and they are the white curves. I have realized that only appear after he begins to flare and its among his gill lines. Is this normal or something I should be worried about?

I'm sorry to continually pester you guys but I am just getting a little worried :-\

Thanks!

8. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Do you have any ornaments that could be causing this?

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. I'm glad to hear that you re-homed your Guppy. Have you tested your water recently. Can you post readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

There is a possibility that he is biting his own fins. I've seen it mentioned on this site before. I haven't had these issues with my Betta.

Best of luck!
    Ken

10. Davidish Initiate Member

There isn't much in the tank. Just a plain smooth rock and a red ludwigia. The ludwigia leaves passed the panty hose so I don't think it is possible.

NH3 is at 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5

11. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Sometimes if the fishy flares too much it causes its own fins to split.
    One of my bettas I used to own Odysseus, started off with a rather short tail, every month or so his tail would become tattered, lack lustre and chunky I would be concerned that he was sick, then after a couple of weeks his tail would come back to normal but be lengthed by about 1/2 a centimetre. This process continued his whole life and he ended up with a very long tail! Maybe your betta is doing this?

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks for posting your readings David. Now we can rule out water quality issues. I'd have to think he's doing it to himself as far as his fin issues are concerned. Keep his water as pristine as possible and try some of the suggestion in my post #6. Garlic and Vita Chem.

Maybe he needs something to play with. Have you ever tried placing a ping pong ball in the tank? Just rinse it off and put it in. It may give him something else to think about besides biting his fins. Keep us posted.
    Ken

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with ken..hes probably bored and a tail biter .....if his water is prestine, the filter intake is covered up, no other fishies to nip him, and nothing sharp in his tank, id say hes be the nawty one himself out of boredom....it will take a good 3-4 weeks to grow back once the tails have been gone...

14. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

I put some hamster tubes in my crown tail's 10 gallon (he's alone). He seems to like swimming through them. Yesterday he acted as if he was running a fishy version of a dog agility course... through the tunnel, over a plant, under the bridge and around the back of the heater then into the tunnel again. It looked so purposeful that it cracked me up.