Attack of the beetles! Full out battle... Help?

Ben3721

So this kind of links to my other thread,
They survived that. But the situation has gotten completely out of control and conditions have changed for the worse.
Also forgive me for placing this thread in a random section that kinda applies, there wasn't a section for fish drama XD

We have about 500-2000 little brown 2mm beetles all over the home. We hired an exterminator to spray the house (spray entire floors and around the house), I covered the top of tank and ran the air line outside. The man sprayed ALL over the back of the tank and the sides with poison... I kept my panic attack in till after he left, then quickly wiped off everything over 10 times, 3 times with soapy water with a rag, then many times with water to get the soap off. Moved the tank to a storage room to prevent more contamination for when the house gets re-sprayed. Then I had the tank light on in a dark room... with half poisoned bugs trying to get in... So I put a trash bag over the tank, later finding the evaporation running down the wood ruining it, even though this ten gallon is almost fully sealed, and tons of bugs still following the light... So then I put a trash bag over the top and tightly wrapped it with a bed sheet which soaks the water up (it only makes the cloth slightly damp, it evaporates off the sheet fast enough). Then the bugs still remained crawling on it.... So I had to cover the sheet with a dark towel then wrapped it with cloth to prevent any light from getting out... Thank God I have a low temp LED light to keep my plants alive without lighting the stuff over the tank on fire. The bugs are leaving it alone now, but are all over the whole house, in my cereal, in my Xbox one, in my nose, in my bed, on my homework.... UGH! So now I just change the wet trash bag and dry stuff out every day for a couple weeks. For the re-spray I'm COMPLETLY covering the whole tank for a day and cutting off the air for about 3 hours (is that okay? its my ten gallon in my profile) then starting the air back on, but running the air through a homemade liquid filter system to take the poison out and that will supply air to the tank for a day until the air completely clears. Then waiting 3 days for the poisoned bugs to die then uncover the tank and move it to the kitchen. I can't run air from outside without using a 50 foot long air line... Which is obnoxious and would get in the way. I feel so (forgive me for the lack of manly words) grossed out knowing there will be poison everywhere... Only wearing gloves when working on the tank now. (probably should have in the first place) Fish are fat and happy. My 5 gallon betta tank will just be covered and an outside air pump blowing air over the water. (second floor so there won't poison outside that high.)
SO much to think about.... so much planning to do... I have all my fish stuff in bags to prevent any contamination during spraying. The guys said after spraying inside twice and outside once they should gone.

Am I doing okay? Am I over-reacting? Any recommendations? Please help? The horror! Its a full out bug war...
If any die I will at least have at heart that I tried my best. ....Also I got a job at petsmart today to take care of the fish and animals.... Any tips on that?

Lucy

I'm sorry Ben
Your post is too hard for me to read.

Congrats on the job though!

Ben3721

I'm sorry Ben
Your post is too hard for me to read.

Congrats on the job though!

Define hard? Like was my wording that bad? XD or just will give you nightmares? XD Oh my God help me. At least the tank is 100% stable in other words.

Lucy

It's my old eyes.
Not having paragraphs makes text hard to read.

Rivieraneo

Ben, what kind of bugs are these ? are they bed bugs ?

blusshed

Do the bugs fly? My mom had an infestation of them. She found an old potato that had rolled under a cabinet and they were colonized in that potato. It was atrocious.

It seems like you've got a game plan, so as long as you're careful, I feel like you're doing all that you can at this point...

Good luck! And good riddance to those little brown beetles!

Also, congrats on the job! Just do your best, care for the animals the way you should, and try to spread your knowledge to others!

Ben3721

They are not bed bugs or carpet beetles. They guy told me what they are and I forgot lol. Yes they fly, the guy said they are in the bushes outside and that's how they mostly got in.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EmilyRasputin
Replies
Views
david1978
Replies
Views
Sorg67
Replies
Views