Attaching java Moss...

Butterfly

we've been discussing lots of different ways to attach java moss to different objects. I think I have come up with a unique method.
1) The first pic is my "Stone head Java Man" cave. The only openings are it's mouth and eyes.
2) Laid Java Moss over head, covered whole cave with a hair net.
3)Couldn't resist pic of dojo and corys checking out the cave man.
Haven't tried a hairnet before. It is fixed so none of the fish can get inside of it and get caught.
Carol

CHoffman

Great Idea...Hope it works!!!..Your actually doing it!!..lol...Good luck with your haired man. It will be so funny and cute when it's done.

Butterfly

Great Idea...Hope it works!!!..Your actually doing it!!..lol...Good luck with your haired man. It will be so funny and cute when it's done.
Yep, it really adds something to the tank I can't wait for the Java moss to take to see how it looks. What did you call him? My underwater chia pet
Carol

Lucy

Great idea Carol. Frankly, I think he's kind of creepy.
Fishies are cute though. lol

Butterfly

Great idea Carol. Frankly, I think he's kind of creepy.
Fishies are cute though. lol
Just wait until he has green hair Lucy! how creepy will that be LOL
Carol

CHoffman

Yep, it really adds something to the tank I can't wait for the Java moss to take to see how it looks. What did you call him? My underwater chia pet
Carol

...Yup..That is what I called him.. ..lol..It will be so funny to see. You'll have to post pics when its done.

bettafish2816

great idea!

Crimsonbull57

give him a beard

Aquarist

I think it's going to be so cool.

hkirchen

Can't wait to see his hair attached! That is a great idea for attaching the moss!

bigbadroid

I bet the fish will love that

SWilkins

That is too funny. I have used the back off of orange or grapefruit bags that is just a mesh for this but never on something like this. Love the head can't wait for his hair to grow in.

Butterfly

Swilkins- I have used Orange bags, onion bags, potato bags anything mesh LOL
This is the first time I've tried this. I checked on it and it's not quite attached yet. Will post finished pics.
A beard hummmmm...
carol

SWilkins

Hey a hairnet for hair....LOL.

wakingupnow

That is an awesome idea and that head is going to look awesome when it grows out!

mr. Clown Loach

give it sideburns and a mullet

Butterfly

Well the hairnet came off today. The fish are absolutely fascinated, especially the Dojos
Carol

JennDFK

That rocks!

hkirchen

It came out great Carol!

Beth1965

came out cool and quick to it seems

Butterfly

The hairnet worked better than anything I've ever tried Thanks for the compliments.
Carol

Red1313

sweet!

SWilkins

Looks great. Now hairnets are on my shopping list.

CHoffman

I love it!!!!!...It looks so great!!...That second picture is just to funny..lol..They are curious little things aren't they. Keep us posted when it's all grown out!!...I think there's a photo caption fun section or something like it here you should put that on there I'm sure people would come up with all kinds of funny things.

Aquarist

lol I love it!

mr. Clown Loach

no sideburns?

TedsTank

Very super idea!!!!!...how long did it take for the moss to attach? Ive always wondered how can I tie line around the moss and driftwood without tearing the tank up!!!...Moss nets! Quick patent moss nets......u be sooooooo rich you could buy us all 150 tanks!!!

Butterfly

no sideburns?
not yet When it grows out a bit it will hang down the sides . Maybe a pony tail LOL
u be sooooooo rich you could buy us all 150 tanks!!!
that would be so cool
How long did it take ? About three weeks. if I hadn't kept on pulling the hairnet off to check it probably not that long
Carol

wakingupnow

That is so cool! Reminds me of those Chia pets, but this is oh so much better.

Butterfly

That is so cool! Reminds me of those Chia pets, but this is oh so much better.
Yep CHoffman has been teasing me about having an under water Chia Pet LOL
Carol

≈ D ≈

Great idea and very well done.

Butterfly

Great idea and very well done.
Thanks I will post more pics when the moss gets thicker.
Carol

CHoffman

Please do get more pics...I just love it. I showed hubby and he wants to do one too..You ought to start selling these.

mr. Clown Loach

I saw that on the cichlid stones website. where'd you get that and how much???

MrEMeat

Love it! I don't generally like decorations that do not look natural, but that cave is pretty sweet!

Butterfly

I saw that on the cichlid stones website. where'd you get that and how much???
WWW.kensfish.com under breeding supplies
MrEMeat
Love it! I don't generally like decorations that do not look natural, but that cave is pretty sweet!
He kind of looks like something you would find on some lost Island There's also an Easter Island head but I liked this one better for my project.
Carol

Butterfly

Update on the head This Cory thinks it's a bed
Carol

CHoffman

That is funny..Cories are the cutest smartest little things. Looks like a bed to me too..lol..Pretty comfy one at that.

mr. Clown Loach

yes the sideburns are coming in!!!

navyscuba

I hope they are like Elvis Sideburns

Butterfly

yes the sideburns are coming in!!!
I hope they are like Elvis Sideburns
I trimmed it a bit so it would be thicker, could very well wind up with Stone Head Elvis
Carol

MissMTS

Carol, it looks great!!! I have to do one of those in one of my tanks at some point. I am so glad that you shared this with us

navyscuba

Carol did u get the Idea from Chia Pet?

Butterfly

Carol did u get the Idea from Chia Pet?
No not really Down through the years I've put Java Moss on a variety of things but this is the first head.
CHoffman is the one that compared him to a Chia pet first
Carol

navyscuba

haha. Sorry didn't notice the chia pet comment before. hey I'm hoping to see the elvis side burns.

Butterfly

Don't be sorry ;D That seems to be the first thought that hits anybodys mind LOL. I have had a really good time with this fella.
carol

CHoffman

haha. Sorry didn't notice the chia pet comment before. hey I'm hoping to see the elvis side burns.

Trying to steal my Chia Pet idea.. Just kidding...lol.

navyscuba

hahaha no harm haha

mr. Clown Loach

let it grow big long hair and maybe it will be able to beat the world record for longest hair which is I think 9-10ft

SWilkins

He is looking great. His "hair" is filling in nicely from what I can see LOL. Now everything I look at I wonder if I can attach java moss to it. You have definitely started something with this one.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Shasta
Replies
Views
Kay 240
Replies
Views
lorabell
  • Question
  • Jallen42