Attaching Java fern to wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm planning on attaching some young Java Fern plants to my driftwood. I was thinking I could push them into the holes on the wood and maybe fill the excess space with something: loose gravel, flourite or something. Some of the holes are all the way through so I was going to simply tie it, but I'm keeping my options open. I want the plant to be able to grow into the holes (kinda like how a baby "grows into" their room you start with a large enough room and let the critter live there till it doesn't fit anymore!). I know you can superglue moss to driftwood, is this the best route? will the glue allow the roots to grow? Should I stick to packing the holes (I figure as the plant grows, it'll push the gravel out on its own). Any and all pointers AND ideas are loved!!!

OP
Ziggi

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I thought about that too, wasn't sure if it would be too "slippery" or if I needed to tie it in a special fashion

I think too much, I'm sure. This would still work on holes, not grooves or splits?

mmolitor87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just tie it to the inside of one side of the hole. It works for almost any imaginable way of attaching it. It doesn't have to be on a split or hole...the java fern will attach itself regardless. The way the java fern's rhizome grows it should be kept in mind.

OP
Ziggi

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
There's no special java fern knot
What?! I went to knot school for nothing?!

That was easy! and I should separate the smaller individual plants from each other right? (I think I already have, but I'm looking at one in the tank now that is either tangled or connected in some weird way)

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think what was meant by paying attention to the rhizomes was to attach the plant so that there is room for it to grow outward, or in your case along the wood, not across it. I don't know enough about it to comment on separating them.

OP
Ziggi

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think what was meant by paying attention to the rhizomes was to attach the plant so that there is room for it to grow outward, or in your case along the wood, not across it. I don't know enough about it to comment on separating them.
Yep, I got that makes sense, I was just wondering if it was frowned upon if more than one plant shared a hole. I'd guestimate yes, since you dont want to crowd them when they grow, or are they the type of plants that'll share. I like I said, I think it's two plants I'm looking at at the moment I have 2 pieces of wood, 1 mother plant, and like... 5-7 smaller plants. I'm hoping to get more driftwood and have like 2 plants per piece *fingers crossed*

Edit:
I'm sorry, I mis-read that so I shouldn't be trying to "fill" the holes, instead I should be treating the roots like a cover over the wood?

mmolitor87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can certainly attempt to follow holes. What I meant was exactly what jaysee said...give the plant a direction to grow. You don't have to separate them, but for best results later you probably should now.

OP
Ziggi

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks all! I attached one set with sewing thread (didn't have fishing twine like I thought I did), with the other set the plants are smaller so I just kinda stuck 'em in there! I'm not expecting the second set to stay, I'll tie them in later when I have more time

So far so good! I have them loosely attached, so where ever the plant decides to go, it may do so! I'm pretty excited! I'll get some pictures up a little later! Sofar my gold pristellas are enjoying the new set up too. Driftwood pieces are such Lego blocks! you can turn them 500,000,000 different ways and have a new set up each time! I'm now just concerned about the dear "Wolf Pack Mafia" Cory school tearing the plants off when the wood goes in that tank ... this'll be fun, retying with tongs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 14 17.9%

Top Bottom