ATP's Oceanic 120 Tech Reef Tank - Reef

ATP

Well Known
Hi,

Today, after 98 miles of driving, I got my 120 gallon starphire tank. The tank is used and has been used for 18 months. Currently, the tank is very dirty (haven't been cleaned).

The tank:
It's an Oceanic 120 gallon tech tank. The dimensions are L 48.5 x W 24.5 x H 25. Very nice and wide. I do like the overflow because it doesn't pop up much....It blends in. The return pump pumps water through two water outlets and there's a flexible pipe plastic thing that goes inside the rocks so there won't be much if any dead spots which I think is very neat. Its a kind of dirty since it was never cleaned after break down.

The stand:
overall, its in an OK shape. Its not a tech stand, but an oceanic black oak stand. The black color doen't really blend in with my living room so I'm taking it off and I will stain it. I will than modify the stand so It'll look built in. (it'll look like the pic I drew in my previous 300 thread)

The Equipment:
It includes-
dual 400 watts MH fixture with 2xReeflux bulbs
Euro Reef 135 skimmer
Sump/refugim
Heater-haven't looked how many watts yet
Red Sea WaveMaster Pro Microprocessor Pump Controller
Mag 20 something return
1 K4
a few K2s
2 old nasty filer socks
1 new filter socks
RO unit
2 power strips
1 timer

All for $900

116.jpg

117.jpg

The Flexible hose thing that I said.
118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

It should look great once cleaned

jr177

it looks like a lot of work but it looks like opportunities
lol

OP
ATP

ATP

Well Known
jr177 said:
it looks like a lot of work but it looks like opportunities
lol
Probably...I've done worst . The stand isn't as bad as in the picture, but the pic is just blurry. I bought a paint remover at home depot a few hours ago sI we'll se how it goes.

Tomorrow, I will fill the tank 1/4 full to remove all the sand. All the powerheads and pumps will go into a bucket of vinegar. After sand is removed, than it's time to scrape off all the coraline and rotten dead zoanthids on the overflow After all of dead, wipe the glass a little bit and should look good
(the owner had zoas on th overfow and couldn't remove them so he just let them be)

Than its time for the sump and skimmer.....that's a little nasty to work with lol.

Than, remove the black paint and than make a hole in one of the stands side so a pipe could go throught for an ETSS. After that, get some 2x4s to extend it and make the two cabinets. Stain it and done

Goal is to set up before April

jr177

well you have the time I would think
I can't wait to see it running and I am sire you can't either
lol

OP
ATP

ATP

Well Known
Thanks

The wavemaster has 4 slots availalbe for powerheads, but unfortunately, the pump 2 doesn't work....The Feeding mode is also not working, but its fine. He just threw that in when he found it so no lost

David C

Well Known
Sucks about the wavemaster not working fully, but you can't beat the price

Looks like you got a great deal. That is one huge return pump, a mag 20something... I guess you'll be pushing a ton of water through your sump. How big is the sump, BTW?

Dave

OP
ATP

ATP

Well Known
David C said:
Sucks about the wavemaster not working fully, but you can't beat the price

Looks like you got a great deal. That is one huge return pump, a mag 20something... I guess you'll be pushing a ton of water through your sump. How big is the sump, BTW?

Dave
The wavemaster wasn't included in the original posting anyways. He just found it in his storage and gave it to me. So the price is cheaper than the tank alone and it includes a bunch of stuff

The return is a Mag 24. It pumps 2400 GPH and 0 height I was to choose either a Mag 18 or 24 so I chose 24 because the flow ill need to be extended into the hose thing.

I actually don't know the measurements yet. I'm suppose to do something right now so I can't measure it. I'll measure it soon. Here's a pic
125.jpg

It looks nasty, but good design. Its bigger than my unused Eshopps ADV-300 so I'll use this one insted pf the Eshopps.

OP
ATP

ATP

Well Known
135.jpg

136.jpg

Cleaned the tank and sump. Couldn't get the coraline on everflows off because the overflow isn't smooth. It's like metal like. I'll try vinegar today.

Morgan111

Well Known
Nice looking set up, I had one of the reef master wave maker but I unhooked it because the power heads made too much noise when they started up and shut down

OP
ATP

ATP

Well Known
Start Build

Finished cleaning up and started planning the pumbing. Also tested the metal halides fixture.

256.jpg

257.jpg

258.jpg

OP
ATP

ATP

Well Known
Done

Here's some pics-

Breaking down my 125 gallon and taking all the rocks, corals etc. Sad to see it go so soon, but I like the new rockwork better.
430.jpg

432.jpg

Here are some of my softies and a few SPS in a 29 gallon. There are a lot more corals (the more expensive) in a 65 gallon set up
432.jpg

Setting up the 120-
Started with base rock and worked upwards. After making the basic design, I then covered the gap where the chunk of rock meets with baseball size pieces of LR to make it look more blended. Turned out pretty good
434.jpg

437.jpg

436.jpg

437.jpg

440.jpg

Here's my skimmers
439.jpg

I'm having problems with the Euro Reef. Its really foamy and great on the inside, but there's a lot of bubbles that comes out throught the water outlet as well. I currently have a filter sock there to reduce the bubbles. Any help would be appreaciated.

So we started at around 6:30 AM and finished at around 2 AM. Took us a while because we had to take down a 125 and a 65. Than set up a 120 reef and a 125 FOWLR the same day. The house is a mess so tomorrow ill be another busy day. Also have to take down the sump for the 125 for cleaning tomorrow.

Will keep everyone posted

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Wow! Looks great ATP. You've really been busy. I know it was a long day for you but I hope you enjoyed it
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Ken

OP
ATP

ATP

Well Known
Thanks

______

The water has cleared up a bit today. The Euro Reef still has bubbles, but its getting better so I'll just let it run.
449.jpg

Maxima Clam.-just got it a few days ago.
451.jpg

OP
ATP

ATP

Well Known
Morgan111 said:
Great looking set up.... and nice clams.... lol I mean clam:)
Thanks.

btw, lost my Purple Stripe Pseudochromis during tank transfer. I couldn't find him.

OP
ATP

ATP

Well Known
Today, we assembeled th ligthing and the canopy is basicly done. All we need to do is install the trims and order the doors. (we're not going to make those because of time and the plywood is always slightly bent so its hard to make the doors not curve.

The canopy looks a little bit high, but it'll look fine when we install the sight cabinets. It will look like the one in the drawing, but no speakers and there will be three cabinets. One is flush with the stand, another one will be with the tank and the last one will flush with the canopy.

The fixture does look a little low, but that's the best we could do. We measured the fixture and put like an inch gap for assembly, but we forgot about the wires . So its a tight fit. When we were seembling it, the sides of the canopy kind of popped out so we had to screw it back in.

777.jpg

779.jpg

781.jpg

783.jpg

785.jpg

787.jpg

789.jpg

OP
ATP

ATP

Well Known
Shipment from aquacave and hawaiI arrives tomorrow !

Aquacave:
1-finnex titanium heater
2-JBJ ATO
?-probably a thing or two I forgot

Hawaii: (livestock for 125)
1-teardrop butterfly
1-aurigia butterfly
1-moorish idol
2-cleaner shrimp

OP
ATP

ATP

Well Known
The stand is covered with the stained poplar and is complete. With the exception of the top and bottoms....also the doors

The two side cabinets's skeleton are completed. Next step is to make the shelfs and install/stain the wood that will be covering it.

Left Side:
bottom-Calcium Reactor
middle-controllers and wiring
top-storage

Right Side:
bottom-ATO
middle-storage
top-storage

192.jpg

193.jpg

194.jpg
]
195.jpg

(the door is not black. That was the door that came with it, but I'm not using it)

OP
ATP

ATP

Well Known
reef dude said:
how do you pay for all of it!!! GORGEOUS TANK love your corals.
Thanks...

I probably spent only 1/2 of what its worth buying used through a forum that almost everyone in it is in my area.

reef dude

ATP said:
Thanks...

I probably spent only 1/2 of what its worth buying used through a forum that almost everyone in it is in my area.
yip that's the way to do it!
good on you you have an amazing set up

OP
ATP

ATP

Well Known
a few weeks ago, I noticed some of my corals started to loose color. Checked my parameters and everything was as usual. A few days ago, my corals started to bleach and again, everything was in check. Until I felt that the water was a bit warm. I don't really check my temperature until summer, but I guess I should now. It was 88 degrees. (no problem with heater btw)

I started to put ice cubes in bags into the water, but it only camedown a couple of degrees after about an hour with the lights off. Today, I took off my canopy and the temperature dropped pretty fast. I decided to re design the top It won't be a full canopy, but only a place to hang the MH and a few spotlights for various affects.

My new design. There will be a piece of wooden beam across the two side cabinets. The wooden beam is supported by a metal rod like thing for extra support to hang the MH. On the four corners, there will be 4 small lights for a little thing I'm thinking about.
2.png

reef dude

that sucks about re-doing the hood,but good design don't want to lose your tank to overheating.

OP
ATP

ATP

Well Known
Thanks. Allready did it...1/2 done. Temperature maintains at 82 when halides are on. Halides are supplemented by some home depot LEDs I found for sale LED tracklights

reef dude

sweet it will look awsome,LEDs are real good I have some they're a nice addition to the tank.

LC

hey just stumbled upon your thread and you really need to update because I'm so curious to see how everything turned out!!! great tank btw! its gorgeous!

New Threads