Atlantis Themed Freshwater Tank

Flyaway Soul

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I recently got a 29 gallon top fin tank (was much better quality than I was expecting). It's cycled and ready to go, I'm just deciding on a few more plants. So far my theme is an Atlantis/ocean theme, minus the salt. I have what appears to be a bronze hued dojo loach in it (he was just listed as "loach" at the pet store) and I plan to get another one or two of them to keep him company. I was thinking about getting an angelfish as well. I can't think of what else to put in the tank, though. For a while I considered rainbow sharks instead of an angel fish, but I'm just not sold on that yet. Any recommendations?

Also, I have a relatively empty 55 gallon tank to move the fish into once they get bigger.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it is an dojo loach, it need much cooler water then the angel, just saying. And yeah, he’s gonna outgrow the 30g. I got a pair of them and they are awsome fish. Love to see the tank so far.

OP
Flyaway Soul

Flyaway Soul

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’m new with loaches, so I may be wrong about what kind it is. I can move it and the others into the 55 gal ahead of time and maybe add another cooler temp fish. I thought about sticking a small koI in the 55 until it got bigger and then gifting it to a friend who has this beautiful outdoor koI pond, but that’s a different tank. In the mean time, what are thoughts about other fish?

Here is the tank so far. I’m adding some Carolina Fanwart and some Ludwigia when they come in and there are two more decorations on the way (a small pink coral decoration and a Neptune/Poseidon statue). While I was at the pet store browsing, an employee mentioned that a pair of leaf fish would hold their own well and would be good mid/top swimmers and also recommended a red tailed shark. Thoughts? Also I plan on covering the back wall later with essentially an aquatic trellis that someone showed me how to do, so it’ll be planted as well.

Attachments

Buganjimo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cool looking tank! Can you post a picture of the loach so we can see what type it is? I wouldn’t suggest a red tailed shark in that tank, they get pretty big and would probably be more suited for your 55.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So, I’m horrible at what *can* go in the tank, great at what can’t. No to the shark, they can get aggressive and only 1 leaf fish but they are very hard to stock around just because of how they are. They’ll eat small fish and are hard to get to eat “dead” food cause they are insect hunters. And I defiantly want to see the loach. I love them to death.

What I have in my 30 gallon is 7 bronze corries, 8 harlequins raspboras, and an angel. It’s got plenty of activity and the angel is hilarious. But that’s my 2 cents.

OP
Flyaway Soul

Flyaway Soul

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I actually did end up getting the red tail (I didn't see your responses until now) but he just hangs out in the dense parts of the plants and picks at any little algae shoots that come up (he rarely eats any of the food I give them, actually, not even thawed bloodworms or brine shrimp). I also have an angel fish, 5 white gold clouds, a Bolivian ram and a pleco. I did move the loach into the larger tank and got two more to keep it company. They mostly hide under a large shell in the tank, but I see them zooming around the bottom when its dark. I'll be sure to pay close attention for any signs of aggression in the red tail, but for now he doesn't seem to even notice the other fish. He just nibbles at the plants and doesn't even bother my rescued pleco (my mother put the poor pleco with her large cichlids and they tore out one of his eyes, but he healed up just fine somehow. I call him One-Eyed Pete now). I just got my hands on an 83 gallon hex tank that I'll probably move him into once it's up and cycled. I think he'll like it. The 55 gal still just has loaches and plants in it, so I can move the shark and re-home the loaches in the future if necessary.
The rest look a bit green for some reason? The tank is perfectly clear like the side view, though. Probably just the lighting when I took the pictures.

New Threads