Atlantis is gone

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
After a 2 week bout with dropsy, Atlantis finally succumbed to the disease overnight. It was heartbreaking to see this happen to him, even though I only had him a short while I hope that it was a good life for him up until dropsy. I'm just thankful it's over now and that he's not suffering through that anymore.

What's worse is that I almost lost Christen as well last night, and am very shocked that I didn't. I woke up to see her, tail first in the input of the filter - fortunately there is foam immediately at that entrance so she wasn't going any farther, I'm just blown away that she didn't drown. I'm going to be keeping that filter off in the 2.5 gallon tank now, unless I'm home and awake to watch her.

I am not having a good week at all, car accident tuesday because some kid through a snowball at me, dealing with a smart *** cop when I reported it due to there being over $1000 damage to my car, and now my Betta's this morning. I need a holiday

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
That is sad to hear, Asinity.  I'd not been following the Betta Food thread, so was unaware that Atlantis had developed dropsy.  I hope his suffering was minimal. 

That you also lost Comet, nearly lost Christen, and had to deal with a car wreck sure does round out a tough week.  I think you might very well need a holiday.

You did what you could, though.  It seems these cases of dropsy that have evolved recently have come on quickly and not given much of a heads-up as to what the problem is until too late.

You, Comet, and Atlantis are in our thoughts and prayers.

Mike

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm so sorry for your loss. Hope your feeling better after the wreck and only the car was damaged.
Carol

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about the loss of Alantis and Comet. My heart goes out to you. Also good to know that you are ok and not injured from the accident.

Nicole

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that you lost Atlantis and about the car accident. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am truly sorry for your loss. Atlantis will be missed. I miss every little betta who passes and mourn with the person who looses them. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I know that Atlantis has gone to be with all the little bettas from here who have gone before and is happily swimming with them as he was not able to do down here.

You did a wonderful job taking care of him while you had him and have every reason to be proud of that. You were a wonderful betta parent and I do hope that someday you will be willing to try to give another little one a much needed home. I also hope that you will stay with us as will always consider you welcome and a part of our betta community.

Our best to you and Christen as we know you both are missing Atlantis and we want you to know we are here for you. Please feel free to come on and let us know if we can do anything for you.

Rose
:'(

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
You should have seen the snowbank... lol.

I do plan on getting another betta, after I sterilize the 5.5 gallon, although it's very discouraging to lose my betta so soon, so I am in doubts about my ability to take care of another one.

Fortunately though Christen is looking to be back to normal after her little ordeal this morning, zipping around the tank. Kinda gets the morale up.

Thanks for the support, I miss watching Atlantis already

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
:'( I am so very sorry that you lost Atlantis. You worked very hard trying to save him and I know he appreciated your love and care.

You are a wonderful Betta parent and will do fine with any bettas you have. I am glad that Christen is doing well. It would be so scarey to find your baby girl stuck like that.

CherryRose

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mom was telling me that she saw Christen stuck to it how many times throughout the day. So that filter is way too powerful for that tank. She's just kinda stuck to the bottom of the tank in one corner all night after I got home, and hasn't eaten.

I'm afraid now

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry for all that has happened to you. I was so hoping Atlantis would make it. Don't doubt your Betta keeping skill...that you were able to keep him alive for so long with such a bad disease shows how well you cared for him. There was nothing more you could have done for him.

I hope Christen is doing ok. If you have it off for any long amount of time, the bacteria will probably die...so it would probably be a good idea to get a new filter that you can leave on all the time. That would be scary finding your Betta stuck up a filter, goodness. I hope she starts eating again.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well it is an underwater filter, so it's still full of water, it's just not circulating like it does when it's running. Would that have an affect on it?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, I see. It is good that it is submerged, but I am not sure the bacteria will be getting enough food when the water is not circulating through the filter. It will not be removing all the ammonia from the tank, anyway.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
:'( I'm so very sorry to hear Atlantis didn't make it. I've been avoiding the sick fish threads these past few days as it makes me too sad. I just lost Phlox last Sunday and it still hurts a lot.
You will be a great Betta parent to your next fish and already are to Christen.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom