Ati Hydro Pro Sponge Filter

JakeT

Reaction score
I am thinking of using one Hydro Pro #5 sponge filter in a 40 gallon breeder. Is this filter too big for that tank? The filter is rated for 125 gallon aquarium.

Tol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Should be fine, they are recommended for 40 gallon up to 125 gallon as long as you don't mind the space it takes up (4.5" H x 5.25" W plus another 5" H for lift tube ). You could use pairs of smaller ones too if you want. I believe all of the other parts of the filter for #1-5 are all the same, just the sponges are bigger. A lot depends on what you use to power it as well. A good air pump rated for your tank size or a power head is an option. If you are using the tank to actually breed, probably the air pump. Their filters work really well and are pretty cheap. I use a #2 in my 29 gal currently along with a HOB. I would also suggest using either an airstone or one of their diffusers inside the strainer to make the bubble much finer.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The "pro" is their articulated coarse foam. The non-pro is their fine foam.

The "Pro" versions are made for higher flow rates and extended service intervals.

Put a large air pump on it, and a good air stone or diffuser like Tol advised.

I use ATI's products and like how the parts interchange.

You will be surprised how much muck they trap.

Tol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The standard ones are actually more effective than the pro versions for lower flow. It might also might be better for a breeding set up to have a finer sponge? I don't know much about breeding though, so I could be wrong. If you plan on using a strong powerhead to drive it, definitely the pro.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom