At What Level Do Nitrates Start To Become Harmful? Question

1. DHIWZ Member Member

At what concentration on the API kit do I need to start worrying about Nitrate levels and consider doing a water change? I'm mostly concerned with the shrimp in my tank since they are the most sensitive to Nitrates.

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

1.0 or more. 0.5 or bellow is best.

3. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

@goplecos the tests most people use don't even read 1.0 nitrate. I think you're confusing nitrate/nitrite.

Absolutely below 40 nitrate, but below 20 is better if possible.

4. smee82 Well Known Member Member

For a shrimp only tank i would try to keep them below 20

5. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

keep it below 0.20ppm for any fish.

if you test and it's over 0.20 ppm then do a water change.

if your tank isn't over stocked , you have good filtration and don't over feed your nitrates shouldn't ever go above 0.20ppm but you'll still have to do a water change once a week.

6. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

If you are talking about nitrates, then in a non-planted tank, the closer to 0 the better. Goal is 5-20, but once a week 50% water changes should keep you on track.

If you have live plants, you will need to keep your nitrates higher. To feed the plants. But I honestly wouldn't go above 20 if I could help it. Definitely a balancing act.

7. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Plants are fine at 10-20 ppm, you dont need them any higher. They also eat ammonia first.

8. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Theres my tap and tank [​IMG]

Fish started acting skittish at around 80ppm

9. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Obviously though it depends on what type of fish they are and what they have been brought up in, i never let my nitrates get over 10 in my reef tank.

10. GabeC Member Member

How often are you doing partial water changes? It's hard to tell the reading from your tap water, but your tank water looks at least 40ppm which is too high.