At the risk of sounding like an idiot - Glass Aquariums?

Cooperman411
I've had aquariums off and on for 15+ years. But I've never had a glass one. I've only ever used acrylic. Currently have a betta in an ugly 6 gallon thing I bought on Amazon. I saw an Aqueoun Frameless 6.5 gallon cube on sale for $29 and bought it. While it looks great, I don't trust those frameless seams of silicon. I've filled it with water to test it. We're going on 7 hours and no leaks. Am I safe? I have silicon glue. Should I empty it, dry it, and glue it anyway, or just trust it?

marmaaa
Cooperman411 said:
I've had aquariums off and on for 15+ years. But I've never had a glass one. I've only ever used acrylic. Currently have a betta in an ugly 6 gallon thing I bought on Amazon. I saw an Aqueous Frameless 6.5 gallon cube on sale for $29 and bought it. While it loos great, I don't trust those frameless seams of silicon. I've filled it with water to test it. We're going on 7 hours and no leaks. Am I safe? I have silicon glue. Should I empty it, dry it, and glue it anyway, or just trust it?
Adding silicone on top of old silcone doesnt do anything, just make sure its leveled and you should be fine, plus you did a water test and its held up.

Cinabar
Just make sure it’s on a flat, level surface. Any twisting could cause the seams to separate and trust me that’s no fun. Otherwise you’re good to go.

Cooperman411
No leaks and we're approaching 24 hours. I think we're good to go!
Oh - and it came with a leveling pad which I appreciate.

chromedome52
They've been making glass aquariums this way since the 1960s. I still have some from the 70s, and they still hold water. Yes, I have had one or two larger tanks that developed leaks. Personally, I dislike acrylic because it scratches too easily and clouds up with age, and the big tanks are too expensive compared to glass.

Cooperman411
If I'm being honest - I generally only have one 10 or 15 gallon acrylic at a time. I tend to find them on sale or 2nd hand. (Got a beautiful 15 gallon BiOrb for $60 on Amazon Warehouse once.) I also tend to keep them for the lifespan of one betta - about 2-4 years - and then they go to a friend who thinks bettas can live in vases and then suddenly they have MTS and tanks all over their houses. I'm a carrier of MTS but am not affected by it. Then a year or two later I decide I want another betta and I buy another 10 gallon. My spouse thinks I'm crazy for spending over $100 to house a $3 fish but when I have a betta, I feel about it the way most people feel about their dogs and cats.

Cawafuoshi
I also was reluctant to buy a glass aquarium especially with a kid around the house. Only time will tell, but for now the TopFin 5.5 Essential kit is great.

Grixxly
Cooperman411 said:
I've had aquariums off and on for 15+ years. But I've never had a glass one. I've only ever used acrylic. Currently have a betta in an ugly 6 gallon thing I bought on Amazon. I saw an Aqueoun Frameless 6.5 gallon cube on sale for $29 and bought it. While it looks great, I don't trust those frameless seams of silicon. I've filled it with water to test it. We're going on 7 hours and no leaks. Am I safe? I have silicon glue. Should I empty it, dry it, and glue it anyway, or just trust it?
Where did you find a frameless 6.5 gallon cube for $29? That is an absolute steal!

Fisch
Grixxly said:
Where did you find a frameless 6.5 gallon cube for $29? That is an absolute steal!
I have a frameless 12gl cube for sale for 30$ and cannot find a buyer.
That is how people get these good deals :)

Grixxly
Fisch said:
I have a frameless 12gl cube for sale for 30$ and cannot find a buyer.
That is how people get these good deals :)
WHAT?!? Where are all these deals when I look for aquariums? People are trying to sell clouded

Fisch
Grixxly said:
WHAT?!? Where are all these deals when I look for aquariums? People are trying to sell clouded
On the other side of the country ...

Cooperman411
I got the 6.5 gallon cube at Petco during one of their sales. It's normally $59 but was marked down to $29. So here's how it's going (see photo). The rock is from the current betta tank so I hope there's some bacteria on it. Also going to add some Safe Start Plus bacteria and all of the filter media from the current betta tank. I'll test it 2x daily to start and as it's only 6+ gallons, water changes are a breeze. Will add the Milo the betta, Patricia the nerite, and Pierre/Monique (the shrimp) later. The shrimp are culls from a tank I had with breeding blue neos. Milo likes to kill red and yellow/orange shrimp. COMPLETELY ignores the more wild types. Go figure.

IMG_0697.jpg

So, 1 rock, 1 giant drift wood, 7 marimo moss balls, several floating amazon frogbit, and 1 fake aponogeton and 1 real small one sitting on the driftwood. (As soon as one of my bulbs has some leaves, I'll replace the fake one - thought it may go sooner.) Oh and an old desk lamp I've had forever with a Feit Electric grow light from Home Depot. I'll put it on a timer for 6 hours a day. Will add liquid fertilizer from time to time. Fingers crossed!

sairving
I started with an aqueon 3 gallon rimless cube. Used it for 8 months without any issues. The only reason I don't use it anymore is because I bought a bigger tank.
Grixxly said:
Petco has really good sales on tanks.

Cooperman411
Cooperman411 said:
I got the 6.5 gallon cube at Petco during one of their sales. It's normally $59 but was marked down to $29. So here's how it's going (see photo). The rock is from the current betta tank so I hope there's some bacteria on it. Also going to add some Safe Start Plus bacteria and all of the filter media from the current betta tank. I'll test it 2x daily to start and as it's only 6+ gallons, water changes are a breeze. Will add the Milo the betta, Patricia the nerite, and Pierre/Monique (the shrimp) later. The shrimp are culls from a tank I had with breeding blue neos. Milo likes to kill red and yellow/orange shrimp. COMPLETELY ignores the more wild types. Go figure.

IMG_0697.jpg

So, 1 rock, 1 giant drift wood, 7 marimo moss balls, several floating amazon frogbit, and 1 fake aponogeton and 1 real small one sitting on the driftwood. (As soon as one of my bulbs has some leaves, I'll replace the fake one - thought it may go sooner.) Oh and an old desk lamp I've had forever with a Feit Electric grow light from Home Depot. I'll put it on a timer for 6 hours a day. Will add liquid fertilizer from time to time. Fingers crossed!
Update - As much as I liked the white sand and the look, once the snail moved in . . . Let's just say I had no idea how much nerite snails poop! I cleaned it twice in one week. So yesterday just 10 days after everything was good to go, I took everything out and replaced the sand with black gravel. The contrast isn't as stunning as it was on the white sand, but I don't see nerite poop everywhere! New pics below. Apparently Milo the half-moon betta likes it better too as he's built his first bubble nest since moving in.

Another question - I put a black background on but apparently it transformed the entire aquarium into a hall of mirrors and Milo went crazy flaring constantly. I took it off within a few hours and the flaring is minimal now. Any advice as I hate looking at all the black gadgets at the back. I tried black paper (non-shiny) but it still turns the back into a mirror. I may just have to learn to live with it. Any ideas appreciated!

IMG_0717.jpg

And ANOTHER Question - Notice the nerite on the driftwood. She's been there since this morning (I saw her at 7a.m. in this spot and it's now 3p.m.) At what point do I decide she's stuck and needs my assistance?

marmaaa
Cooperman411 said:
Update - As much as I liked the white sand and the look, once the snail moved in . . . Let's just say I had no idea how much nerite snails poop! I cleaned it twice in one week. So yesterday just 10 days after everything was good to go, I took everything out and replaced the sand with black gravel. The contrast isn't as stunning as it was on the white sand, but I don't see nerite poop everywhere! New pics below. Apparently Milo the half-moon betta likes it better too as he's built his first bubble nest since moving in.

Another question - I put a black background on but apparently it transformed the entire aquarium into a hall of mirrors and Milo went crazy flaring constantly. I took it off within a few hours and the flaring is minimal now. Any advice as I hate looking at all the black gadgets at the back. I tried black paper (non-shiny) but it still turns the back into a mirror. I may just have to learn to live with it. Any ideas appreciated!

IMG_0717.jpg

And ANOTHER Question - Notice the nerite on the driftwood. She's been there since this morning (I saw her at 7a.m. in this spot and it's now 3p.m.) At what point do I decide she's stuck and needs my assistance?
Could you stick a black piece on the wall rather than the tank? Also nerites sometimes just hang in a spot for a long time I wouldnt worry about it.

sairving
Cooperman411 said:

IMG_0717.jpg

Sometimes I don't see my nerite for a few days. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Mine likes to hide when the light is on and wedges itself between rocks. He can be difficult to find.

Latest threads

Top Bottom