At The End Of Cycling? What Do I Do Now?

smallfries

Reaction score
Hey all I need some help. Apparently I misunderstood the cycling directions on this forum. After my 10 gallon tank was processing ammonia in 12 hours, I thought I was supposed to keep bugging it up to 4ppm every day so the bacteria wouldn't die. After reading some other people's questions and realizing I was overdoing it, I did a 50% water change yesterday evening and took measurements this morning. Yesterday I was at 0ppm ammonia, Nitrites 5ppm, Nitrates about 40ppm. This morning the Nitrite is 0ppm, Nitrate about 20ppm. What do I do now? Should I do another water change? If it goes to 0, does it mean it's ready, or should I feed it again?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Congrats! You've done a wonderful job
How long have you been cycling?

Once you dose a regular amount of ammonia after it's gone before the 24-hour mark, you have nitrate readings, and you have no nitrite readings, then you have cycled the tank
I think you are cycled! If you do not plan on stocking it within 48 hours from now, I would dose small amounts of ammonia to hold the bacteria until you get fish. Just do another water change prior to adding any fish.

smallfries

Reaction score
Woohoo! Thank you I think I've been cycling about 4 weeks, but I'm not quite sure. I had a disastrous attempt at a dirted tank that I started during Spring Break, so I had to start all over again after that. My toddler is going to go nuts when he sees Actual Fish in the tank even though he's been a big fan of it from the beginning!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom