Assorted ram help?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Cameron090601, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Cameron090601New MemberMember

So I was sold 2 'Assorted rams' which in the shop I suspected were bolivian rams but now to me look like german blue. What are your thoughts on this also any ideas about sexing, sorry about the algae. Thanks

uploadfromtaptalk1438256518747.jpg

2. Granamyr

GranamyrValued MemberMember

Those are definitely both German blues, but I can't tell the sex of them from that picture.

3. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Definitely german, but from the pic they kind of look like the angel/balloon variety. Not sure though

4. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yeah, definitely german blue rams. And yes they are the balloon variety, which I personally believe is cruel to the fish.

5. tyguy7760

Not that I disagree with you, just curious. Why do you feel it's cruel to the fish? And do you feel the same way about hybrids like blood parrots?

6. Anders247

The deformed spine makes it harder for them to swim, and makes them more susceptible to disease, and shortens their lifespan I believe. Not sure if that's the same with blood parrots, but if it is, then I would feel the same way.

7. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Definitely balloon Rams, and definitely ramirezi. Are they developed from German Blues or standard Rams, I don't know personally.

"Ballooning" basically is a selectively bred spinal deformity which scrunches up the internal organs leading to shortened lives due to internal complications.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  8. tyguy7760

Ok that makes sense. I would agree then. I just didn't know if it was a hybrid thing like the parrot fish or something else. Seems cruel to specifically breed a fish to a deformity that will shorten their lifespan.

9. Anders247

Yep, that's why I don't support it.....at all.

10. hampalong

Same as balloon mollies, and to varying extent, fancy goldfish. It's the novelty of the shape, regardless of the harmful effects on the fish. :(

11. tyguy7760

Do you consider parrot fish in the same realm? Are their "deformity's" harmful?

And sorry OP for hijacking the thread. Was not my intention.

12. OP
    OP
    C

Cameron090601New MemberMember

uploadfromtaptalk1438444475819.jpg bit off topic since the thread has changed but here is one of my balloon rams any ideas about sexing

uploadfromtaptalk1438444537322.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1438445045105.jpg first ram sort of chases this one around any sexing ideas thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015
  13. hampalong

For me, I'm not familiar enough with balloons to be able to sex them, but based purely on colour your dominant one is probably female, and based purely on her dominance, the other one is probably female too. That's a total guess though.

14. hampalong

Yes, probably IMO. They can't eat as easily as 'normal' cichlids. Whether the fish know that they're 'disadvantaged' is another thing.

I find it all mildly worrying. I'm not in favour of hybrids generally, but if we have to do it there are plenty of hybrid possibilities that are perfectly healthy, normally shaped fish, yet we prefer deformed ones.

15. tinks8400New MemberMember

I had the same problem sold bolivian but got GBR, this is my male, image

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  16. OP
    OP
    C

So I'm guessing that I have 2 females so I went and purchased two more rams and now I have 4 but the way things look is that they are all females just my luck. They all chase eachother, lip lock and face off none seem to be pairing they can sometimes be civil though should I just leave them or take them out?

17. OP
    OP
    C

Also when they face off their dorsal fins spike up

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice