Assorted African cichlids

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello fishlore users...
At Petco they had a good price on "assorted African cichlids" and I have been wanting like 2 of different colors for my tank. The only problem is that for there maximum size it said 4-10".

I was wondering if anyone could tell me which "assorted African cichlids" only get to be about 4" ?

Pics would be appreciated ALOT

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What size fish tank are you looking to put them in. African cichlids should be put in atleast a 55 gallon, and your going to need a good many to keep the aggresions down. Check out the cichlidforum.com. they have cookie cutters, and will tell you everything you need to know about african cichlids. Also if your looking to do cichlids in a small tank, you could look into shell dwellers.

Last edited:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Typically "Assorted" cichlid tanks contain mbuna species. Mbuna are a family of rift lake cichlids that contains over 200 different species, Not all of them can be combined with each other. Usually mbuna species are 4"-6" when fully grown & are rather aggressive. Given the number of rift lake cichlids that get to around 4" numbers in the dozens, maybe even hundreds, providing pics is immpossible. It would be much easier for you to go to the store & get a couple of photos of the fish in question & post them here for ID & information purposes.

My biggest tip would be not to trust anything Petco has written on the tanks about the fish within or what the staff have to say. They are not exactly knowledgable about fish, & thier information should be regarded with the greatest of suspicion.

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, thanks, could you tell me what the most common African cichlids is that only gets to 4" ?

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could anyone give me any info on these cichlids, if anyone has any? Also there was an "assorted African cichlid" that was white that i want to know more about, but I don't know what it is called... any info would be appreciatedx

Attachments

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fish on the left appears to be a Dogtooth Cichlid (Cynotilapia Afra). The other appears to be a Yellow Lab (Labidochromis Caefuleus) with outstanding markings.

There are too many 4" mbuna to list but here is a few:Labeotropheus Tewavasae, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Melanochromi Auratus, Melanochromis Chipokae, Melanochromis Johannii, Pseudotropheus Aurora, Pseudotropheus Barlowi, Pseudotropheus Crabr0o, Pseudotropheus Elongatus, Pseudotropheus Socolofi, Cynotilapia Afra, Pseudotropheus Zebra. There are dozens more than that though.

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for the list... I think this fish is called an "Albino Red Fin Zebra"... do you guys have any info on its size or anything like that?

P.S... Suggestions to any other cichlids that look like this would be good toox

Attachments

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like an Albino type of one of the Zebras. Probably either an Ice Blue or Red Top. These guys can reach 5-6 inches, and aren't too aggressive for Cichlids. What size tank are you wanting to keep them in?

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I want to keep them in a 20 gallon until probably the begining of September, when I get enough money for a 55 gallon

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fish on the left appears to be a Dogtooth Cichlid (Cynotilapia Afra). The other appears to be a Yellow Lab (Labidochromis Caefuleus) with outstanding markings.

There are too many 4" mbuna to list but here is a few:Labeotropheus Tewavasae, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Melanochromi Auratus, Melanochromis Chipokae, Melanochromis Johannii, Pseudotropheus Aurora, Pseudotropheus Barlowi, Pseudotropheus Crabr0o, Pseudotropheus Elongatus, Pseudotropheus Socolofi, Cynotilapia Afra, Pseudotropheus Zebra. There are dozens more than that though.
Nutter many ID post I agree with ya but Not on this one. That looks like plain Acei(Pseudotropheus Acei Msuli) to me. The head of that fish don't look like an Afra at all. Check my Juvie Acei.

Attachments

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That looks like plain Acei(Pseudotropheus Acei Msuli) to me. The head of that fish don't look like an Afra at all. Check my Juvie Acei.
Maybe. I still think Afra though. The horizontal lines above the snout are not usually present on Acei. I'll grant you that the snout is more scooped like an Acei but I've seen that on Afra's many times before. Like many Mbuna, it could be either, a combination of both or none of the above.

ID on thse guys is always a pain.

EDIT: Interesting that I just right clicked the picture to save it to my PC so I could enlarge it & check out the finer details. When it comes to 'Save As:' it comes up automatically with Pseudotropheus Zebra. Another possibility.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
im going on acei and lab also....but the lab is a hybrid as they should NOT have the stripes going through them if they are a pure lab...(thanks bri!) and crazy crays, NONE if these fish will make it in a 20g tank for any amount of time they will kill each other or make it so stressful they would want to be dead although my labs and acei's are the most aggressive, I do not believe even juvies of 2 or more inches, will survive even short periods of time..

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe. I still think Afra though. The horizontal lines above the snout are not usually present on Acei. I'll grant you that the snout is more scooped like an Acei but I've seen that on Afra's many times before. Like many Mbuna, it could be either, a combination of both or none of the above.

ID on thse guys is always a pain.

EDIT: Interesting that I just right clicked the picture to save it to my PC so I could enlarge it & check out the finer details. When it comes to 'Save As:' it comes up automatically with Pseudotropheus Zebra. Another possibility.
Now that the pic is better it looks more Afra but the mouth and shape of the head is what ticks me off. Like Shawnie and you said they are Hybrids for sure. Labs don't have stripes that bright.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thats the toughest thing with these buggers...they can look like 4 different fish LOL ...either way, I think its important to know that no matter what they are, a 20g will not work IMO

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with Shawnie & Riv. There's no happy ending for any of these in a 20gal, no matter what species they are.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom