Assistance required Idas unwell. . . Help

1. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone, this is my first help post as my boy Idas is not well. He started showing signs of this 5 days ago.
    I will try my best to provide as much info as I can as any advice would be appreciated. Details are as follows:

Home:
    His environment has not changed lately. He is in the same tank with the same stones in the same position as it always has been.
    He has no tankmates & is not in a divided tank.
    I do not know much about water conditions but I make my water in batches. The other bettas that received water from the same batch are all 100% which leads me to believe that it is not his water.

Symptoms:

Day 1: Slowed down swimming started to sit on the bottom of his tank.

Day 2: Barely swam in the whole day.

Day 3: Hardly swimming and showed little interest in his dinner barely pecking at it.

Day 4: Did not swim and did not eat his dinner. He only looked at it, tried one piece and spat it back out again.

Day 5: Not swimming. Wouldn't even come up to look at his dinner. Refusing to eat.

What I think it is:
    I am not really sure what I'm looking for but I made some inspections of him. His eyes are fine. His fins seem healthy enough. When he sits on the bottom he does not lie on his side - which is a good sign - but his gills do not move much (I have seen bettas gasp for breath before he is not doing this instead his gill movement is barely visible). There is no blatant fungis or abnormal growths. (Though maybe I am not looking right). The only difference is that on very close inspection I noticed a scar or cut on his body underneath his top fin. It is a straight line perhaps 1/2 cm in length. It shows up white in colour. I am wondering if he has cut himself on an odd sharp stone and has caused himself an infection, is this possible?

Treatment so far:
    He has had a complete water change.
    I have treated him with Bettafix medicine in his water (it has worked wonders with my fish in the past).
    I have tried to get him to eat both pellets and dried bloodworms.
    I have sterilised his rocks and tank thoroughly (with hot water) to eliminate any germs.
    He has had a piece of pea in the last week but I don't think he actually ate it, I think he looked at it.

Info on Idas:
    He is a yellow fighter (I have been told in the past that yellows are weaker than others due to their low skin pigment).
    I am not sure what type he is, he has strange fins perhaps a cross breed crown and something else, can this make for a sickly fish?
    He was a cup baby.
    He is usually very lively, hard to net and loves to clink his rocks about.

Any info would be helpful, any advice welcome. I do not want to lose my baby so soon. Thank-you. Fishtroy for Idas

2. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to hear about your sick mate. I'm far from an expert on fighters, in fact I have only just started keeping them fairly recently but there are a couple of things I can think of. The first is the cut you have mentioned. This may be causing a problem such as a parasite or fungus that you can't see particularly well or if it is a deep wound he may actually have some damage to his flesh that is imparing his ability to swim & eat. I would also be interested in how old he is? I know fighters have relatively short lifespans & if he is 2-3yrs old he may be on his last legs. Sorry I don't have any good news or definitive advice but that is all I can think of for the time being. There are plenty of Betta enthusiasts on this site that are much more knowledgable than myself with these fish & I'm sure they will be happy to do thier best to help you & your friend out.

3. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Hi thanks for your reply.
    I have only had Idas for 2 months. I do not know how long the aquarium I bought him from had him for but he is smaller than some of my other fighters. His cut is a concern. It does not appear very deep. I have seen visibly deep cuts on bettas before and in comparison it only seems slight but it is rather long on him in length so I am still wondering if this is a cause.
    Any ideas on how to mend a cut/scratch on a fighter?

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Fishtroy. Sorry to hear that your Betta isn't feeling up to par. Pristine water conditions is crucial to prevent infection. Garlic juice in jar from the grocery store added to his food, just a couple of drops will help. Too, it wouldn't hurt to add a couple of drops into the tank itself. Garlic is an immune system booster and food enhancer for fish and humans too. Also Vita Chem is suggested a lot on this forum.
    Best wishes for a full recovery!
    Ken

5. hooxeii Well Known Member Member

I agree with the garlic idea, and a bit of stress coat might also be beneficial. Hope he feels better soon :)

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Maddy,
    I'm sorry Idas isn't well.

7. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Ok, so garlic juice in a jar from the grocery store. I have never heard of this but it seems to often be an effective treatment on this site. I have run it by my family and we aren't familiar with it. So what is it like and what do I look for in the grocery store? Is there a section or department that it is usually in? Sorry to ask so many questions but I do not wish to risk getting the wrong thing.
    Thank-you you all for your well wishes, help & advice.

Today there is still no change. My poor little baby. Up close he has blue eyes and looks he is giving me is killing me. :(

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm really sorry your Ida isn't feeling well.
    At my grocery store, they keep minced garlic in a jar near the fruit and vegtables.
    Sending best fishy wishes to you!

9. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

I had to double check the ingredients. Some of the minced garlic was packed in oil.

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry Idas isn't feeling so well. Sending my best betta-get-well vibes your way.

You're in excellent hands with the information above.

11. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Oil is bad right?
    See this is the thing, I panic and worry I will do my baby more harm than good.

12. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Someone else may have a different opinion but I didn't want soy bean or olive oil in my tank.

The lfs began carrying Garlic Guard so I use that now.

13. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Well I heard once that clove oil was used to euthanize so I don't want to risk that!
    I am using Bettafix but he isn't picking up, or do you think it is something that will just take time. :animal0028:

14. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

I can't imagine garlic in clove oil... yuck. As much as I love olive oil, I haven't heard/read that it's good for my betta boys.

I wish I could give you some good advice. I just don't have any experience with anything other than a mild case of bloat. I am certainly sending lots of get well vibes though.

15. hooxeii Well Known Member Member

I used garlic when my girl had ich, and it was minced. I don't know if/what it was packed in, but I didn't actually put the garlic in, per say. I actually rubbed a bloodworm or three in the minced garlic...

Use the garlic guard if you can find it, since it's safe, but this seemed to work for me...

16. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

What is garlic guard, is it a fish product or is this a grocery store thing? Got to know, actually out now, can go straight to grocery store to look so am taking notes as you all answer.

17. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

It's a fish product by Seachem.

18. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

So hoping that is available in Australia. Often we are in short supply of things.

Going to look for the garlic, so if it is minced, how much do you put in his water?

19. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I am always afraid I will get too much in the tank if I use the minced or garlic oil. I put a very thin slice of fresh garlic in with my babies every other week or so. They seem to really like the garlic and will munch most of it!